Remember me
Lost Password Register

Boat Diving Door Co. Area
08-01-2007, 03:42 PM,
Re: Boat Diving Door Co. Area
Hey Dean

I can vouch for Brads kids having dove off his boat many a time.  They are squared away and ready for sea.  Your right, a good charter captain would scoop them up in a heat beat.  The older boy can carry doubles around without a problem.  Although he's not certified he knows his way around the boat very well. 
    I'm grooming my own son right now.  He's twelve and has taken his boaters safety as well as being a boyscout.  He can run the boat, the GPS, even a wreck hook if called upon.  He'll make a fine diver in the near future.  Yarrrr!

Jim
08-02-2007, 02:36 PM,
Hey Kathy   
      I must have left my radio on a different channel after yapp'in to somebody else.  But thanks for the invite!  Is there any other dives in southern Door that are moored or at least worth checking out?
                  Thanks
                          Dan...
The great thing about excruciating pain is.....at least you know you`re alive.<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
08-02-2007, 05:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-02-2007, 06:16 PM by Dewit2it.)
If you want to search for one try Cave Point.  I've found small stuff there near the cliffs but I think the keel is further out.  Be careful with a boat there, there are some wicked rocks out there.  Last time I was there vis improved the further out you went.  A hundered yards out it was 50-60 ft.  Hopefully the currents have blown out the green crap that was floating over the bottom.  I've seen some pretty good schools of alewife there along with some 12" trout.

Here's a few captures from my first UW video.  The rock shelves start at 2' and drop to 10-15'.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   PDVD_009.JPG_thumb (Size: 22.79 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   PDVD_010.JPG_thumb (Size: 19.33 KB / Downloads: 0)
DEW &gt;&ltWink)&gt;
08-03-2007, 06:22 PM,
Carry Doubles???????????  HIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How early did you start???.....

My First Mate..is curently 4 years old....And while he is a one year veteran of the seas, does push ups every day ( at least he thinks they are push ups) and undoubtedly has huge pipes( as he calls them) I dont suspect that he will be hoofing twins any time soon...He is however a fish in the water and has no fear...he wants nothing more than to scuba dive with daddy.....So, i will nurture him and train him and take him under my wing..and one day he will be carrying my twins...Lord knows i can't do it... Wink
08-04-2007, 02:09 PM,

Hi Dan,
I'm not as familiar w/ the wrecks in the Southern portion of the County.  I'm more familiar w/ Northern Door. 

The furthest south that I help to buoy is the Frank O'Connor on the lakeside, and the Carrington on the bay side, off of Hat Island.  If you'd like numbers for the Carrington, send me a private message.  A diagram of the wreck along w/ a list of all state buoyed wrecks are available through the Wisconsin Historical Society's website 

If you get a chance to check out my website , I have all of the wrecks that we dive listed there, and I can give you the info you need to visit them.

Just let me know how I can help!

Happy Diving,
Kathy
Dive Diva Charters, Door County WI
08-05-2007, 06:49 AM,

My Dad used to take acouple of us kids camping on Rock Island in the early to mid '60's.  I would have been about the same age as your first mate when I started.  We used to launch our 14 foot Thompson Cedar strip at Gills rock with its mighty 10 hp Johnson Seahorse and spend the day making the crossing.  My job in those days was to keep the boat dry. Ha.  We'd spend a week up there swimming mostly, then with the right weather window we'd come back. 
    I started my own "experience" running the boat in about '68.  We upgraded to a sixteen foot aluminum  in 69 and I did my first dives in 77 with gear I bought with my money from working on local farms.  In 78 I got around to getting certified and the rest is history.

Jim
08-06-2007, 04:48 AM,
Back to diving,
Had the privilege to meet David Moore who will be doing a talk tonight at the Sturgeon Bay maritime museum in Sturgeon Bay,
he is the head marine archaeologist on the QAR Black Beards WAR SHIP! Queen Ann's Revenge,a dive was planed by his friend in Door county Jon Paul Van Harpen  noted author  and writer and ship wreck historian off MY BOAT!
  The dive was to be several sites in Baileys harbor due to Davids not use to the cold waters, we headed out as the SE winds pounded in,as Jon and David talked I hit the water to find 1' max vis as I hit the deck, I crawled a bit on the bottom and then hit the surface to tell David not to splash due to the poor conditions,we hit the harbor and did look at several site plans of the wrecks located in the harbor,

All in all it was cool to have the  old friends talk about all the sites they dove years back in the Keys to the history on the QAR and if you get a chance check out the Maritime museums in Door County,The Sturgeon Bay one has the Pirates exhibit and my youngest son has seen it built over the winter and its opening in spring this year and actually got to fire a real deck cannon several times a real one anti personal type on display at the museum , wish I could of!
Dive safe Girls,
Brad
08-07-2007, 11:19 AM,
What is the best wreck to do the day after two dives on the Frank 'O'?
08-07-2007, 12:17 PM,
Nate a shore dive or by boat? or charter?in the Door county area
Brad
08-07-2007, 05:35 PM,
The Roehn Barge (sp?) is my favorite. To me the Frank O'connor is overrated. I do like all of the fish and huge wrenches though Smile.