Remember me
Lost Password Register

Blue gold source?
07-10-2007, 10:06 PM,
Blue gold source?
Looks like in Wisconsin there is no distributor. You can get it direct from Modern Chemical because of this.

5 gallon pail including UPS is $90.

Anyone have a source for smaller quanties or interested in splitting it? I'm in Madison.
07-10-2007, 10:59 PM,
Re: Blue gold source?
I'm assuming that you plan on using it for oxygen cleaning.  Here are some sources for smaller amounts;

Another product that works pretty well is Simple Green.  That is what I have been using for the past few years to oxygen clean valves, tanks, manifolds, etc.....
07-11-2007, 10:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-11-2007, 11:30 AM by codecruncher.)
Thanks.

Some folks on thedecostop say you need to rinse simple green a lot more.

That and I've seen first hand that it can be hard on chrome. A friend of mine with an ultrasonic cleaner accidently completely removed all chrome on his shimano ultegra road bike derailleur with it. Might have been too much heat + sonic + time + too strong a solution, but impressive none the less.

Turns out, all I had to do was ask the mfg for a smaller quantity and mention scuba:

"For our Scuba diving customers we do sell Blue Gold in gallon quantities.  The price per gallon is $24.00 plus the UPS charges of $8.35 making a total of $32.35."

$32 doesn't seem too bad and is still cheaper than the web link sources. A gallon of simple green is $20.
07-11-2007, 12:03 PM,
Correction - just checked my facts with the derailleur friend.

What actually got removed was some kind of clear coat finish on top of the metal. He used the regular dilution of simple green for an hour and it had turned this stuff into some sort of sticky goo which was sort of half-off. A complete mess.

At that point he figured might as well take it all the way off and replaced it with full strength simple green for another hour.

Actual real chrome is probably ok then.