Remember me
Lost Password Register

1st real dry suit experience
07-02-2007, 09:45 AM,
1st real dry suit experience
So...we did our pool dive last Thurs night.  I had problems apparently because my rental suit is too big.  The exhaust valve kept turning to the back of my suit where I couldn't reach it.  Made for fun trying to scramble for that while trying to somersault around to get air out of my legs.    Anyone got any suggestions on something I can do to keep that thing in place for our lake dive on July 14th?  I think our shop only has something like 5 suits and my son's using the medium, so I'm stuck with the med/large. Sad

The only good diver is a wet diver.
07-02-2007, 09:47 AM,
Re: 1st real dry suit experience
Don't even attempt to do the dives in a suit that doesn't fit.  It isn't going to be a good experience.
07-02-2007, 10:46 AM,
Yeah, well, I don't think I have much choice at this point since I can't afford to buy my own suit quite yet. heh  I'm trying to keep in mind that "its just the suit doesn't fit right".  Smile
07-02-2007, 10:54 AM,
If the suit doesn't fit right make sure that you keep the exhaust valve open and use enough inflation gas to take the squeeze off and use your BC for buoyancy control.  This will help keep the suit a bit more snug to your body and hopefully avoid an unmanageable bubble in the suit causing air to go to places you don't want it too like your feet.  You still have to mind two devices (BC and suit) when surfacing but if you keep your open exhaust valve at the highest point of the suit, it should purge itself while ascending.  Hope that helps.

Todd
07-02-2007, 11:12 AM,
It certainly will once we finish class and I ever have to rent one thats too big, but for class you know, we're not allowed to use our BCD for bouyancy. Wink

07-02-2007, 01:21 PM,
Yeah, those PADI rules again. :Smile  If that is the case try to make sure you are not overweighted and it will help to limit the amount of air needed for suit buoyancy.  Good luck and enjoy the warmth. Wink
07-02-2007, 02:05 PM,
Can you and your son use the same suit at different times? 
07-02-2007, 05:18 PM,
I think Chris has the right idea.  It is not a lot of fun to use a suit too big.  You would want to keep a lot of squeeze on.

Doug
07-02-2007, 06:57 PM,
Give me a call I have a ladies medium DUI, hopefully we can arrange something so you have a good experience.
Greg 920.482.0725
07-03-2007, 07:52 AM,
Try to rent a suit form another location..or ask someone else if you can use theirs...you could try a couple of different things..like taping the upper arm so its not so loose( not good for the suit)..deal with a squeeze...not good for you....but could be done....if it were me.....Id speak with your instructor...if they dont have enough suits to properly teach the class..i would ask them to do your son first and then you for your dives..each of you could dive wet as a buddy.....I tend to agree with Chris....dry suits are NOT a suit that you want to dive with if they dont fit....especially on your first dives...it would not be fun...and not safe..please keep your head about you..make correct decisons...and dont compromise your better dive judgement...dont dive with the suit....and just keep in mind...the people that are posting here on the site saying that you should have no problems..have become a little too comfy with their diving..they may forget what it was like their first time dry...