Remember me
Lost Password Register

My New Toy
06-19-2007, 09:04 PM,
My New Toy
Here's a few pics of my new toy.  This is the Gates housing for the Sony FX1/HVR-Z1U.  I got it with all the control options and the EM-43 HD monitor.  While the monitor can't display true HD from the camera, it is nice to see the full shot in letterbox.  The other downside is not being able to get the full range of zoom in focus.  I can fix that, but don't want to spend $4000 for the port, unless someone is paying me big bucks. 

I'm still playing with the trim weights, and need to slow down a bit on the panning.  The camera is sensitive enough to need the first built in neutral density filter when diving in shallow water or snorkeling.  The camera has almost the same field of view as what I'm seeing on the dive at full open wide.  I can't wait to see it in true HD. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Gatessm.JPG_thumb (Size: 43.99 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Me.JPG_thumb (Size: 47.51 KB / Downloads: 0)
DEW >&ltWink)>
06-20-2007, 05:57 AM,
Re: My New Toy
Looks pretty sweet. What are you using for lights?
06-20-2007, 06:52 AM,
I still need to get lighting mounts for UK lights.  I have a number of the UK Vectra which are the D4 with floor stands.  I'm also looking at a couple of light cannons for it.  The Vectras have a narrow spot beam that can be softened with gel diffusion.
DEW >&ltWink)>
06-20-2007, 07:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-20-2007, 07:08 AM by schultz.)
Nice camera...

I swear I have to find a sugar-momma so I can start buying toys like this.

Out of curiousity, did you talk to your insurance agent in case this sucker floods?
06-20-2007, 10:47 AM,
BIG FEET...........................................BIG SHOES
BIG HANDS........................................BIG GLOVES
BIG CAMERA......................................BIG OPERATOR
Man that thing is huge....you say you are working out the trim.......negative or positive...and what does it weigh out of water......Nice looking unit...congrats
06-21-2007, 06:23 PM,
Dry with camera ~30 lbs.  Slightly negative wet.  For trim, I'm working with the weights to balance the camera both front to back and side to side.  And yes, I'm looking into insurance.
DEW >&ltWink)>
06-21-2007, 08:53 PM,
Have you tried lighting using high powered 3W LED's?  I'm currently building my own with 12 of these LED's split between two heads for my camera.  I can power both heads with only 6 AA bateries and get about 2 hrs burn time.  Many advantages include; virtualy indestructable, low power usage, small profile and flooding won't hurt the bulbs.  I'm nearly completed with it and can't wait to try it.  What I'm dying to find out is if it's bright enough and whether the color of the light be an issue.  Also with having 12 light sources, shadows are 'stepped'.  Any enlightenment would be appreciated.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
06-22-2007, 09:51 PM,
I don't even want to think what the cost on that was. :o  Nice rig!!
06-23-2007, 07:28 AM,
Housing $7000.
Camera $4100 after rebate.
HD video of a hot divebabe UW,  PRICELESS!!! ;D

So far this is the system I always wanted.  I have some video of dives that I did shot with the old Sony 8mm system back in the late eighties.  While it was neat to have the video, I was not impressed with the quality of the video.  I guess it's true, good things come to those who wait.

I'm also looking at getting into UW modeling, so having quality cameras is a must.  Other toys for this camera would be the flat port $400 and diopters, and the superwide port $4000.  I also want to get the Urpro green water filter.
DEW >&ltWink)>
06-23-2007, 10:20 AM,
Wow, 11 grand, and to think I was spending alot on dive gear with 4 sets of doubles, 2 drysuits, multiple regs, fill station....etc...  You definitely earned the big spender award (along with RB guys).  I don't get to focus on hot divebabe's with all my crap though... :-\  unless Chris and Matt think of themselves as hot divebabes ;D