Remember me
Lost Password Register

Red Sea, Egypt
06-18-2007, 10:29 AM,
Red Sea, Egypt
This isn't strictly a dive trip, but I recently returned from a week in Egypt.  We spent three days in Dahab in the Sinai, diving in the Red Sea.  It's absolutely amazing there - one of most spectacular places I've dived.  The wall starts only yards offshore and goes from a few feet down to several hundred.  It's really a different experience - it's all shore diving and we accessed the sites via beat-up jeeps, with the gear in a trailer or sometimes piled on the floor in between our legs.  During our surface intervals, we'd have a snack at these beach-side restaurants and watch camels walk along the beach.  This was the first trip underwater for my new camera and I was thrilled with the improvement, though I forgot my flash defuser, so some of the shots are poorly lit.  I haven't had time to sort through all the photos yet, but I've got a random assortment of them online here: (dive photos start about halfway down)

Enjoy!

Ethan
06-19-2007, 05:50 AM,
Re: Red Sea, Egypt
Ethan

Looks like you had a GREAT trip...

Very cool ! Thanks for sharing the pics

Bill Smile Smile
06-20-2007, 07:05 AM,
Nice set of photos Ethan,

When I talked to you about the trip, I didn't realize that you had taken UW photos. Nice shooting Tex. I'd love to get to Egypt someday...

One quick question - are those cats the wild ones (I forget their name)?
06-20-2007, 09:26 AM,

I'd consider them to be "urban feral cats", so yes, they're wild, though they're very tame.  You see them everywhere in Dahab and the surrounding areas.  They're always fed by humans, so they're fairly  domesticated.  Most of the restaurants are outdoors and you sit on the floor - the cats will sit next to you and wait for some scraps of food.  They love vegetables - evidently they're not hurting for food, but are always thirsty (tap water in Dahab is salty), so they've learned to get water by eating tomatoes and other raw veggies.  If you don't want the cats to bother you while you're eating, most restaurants will give you a squirt bottle of water so you can blast them.

Ethan
06-20-2007, 10:52 AM,

MAU CATS..some are SAND CATS