Remember me
Lost Password Register

Trivers "Baldwin"
06-15-2007, 10:51 AM,
Trivers "Baldwin"
Although I’m very sleepy today, Greg and I had a nice dive in “Trivers” last night.  I don’t think it is possible for Lake Michigan to be any flatter than it was.  We spent around 50 minutes on the Baldwin.  Visibility was good, I guess 20-30ft (not Presque Isle good), and I think the bottom temperature was 41F.  We saw many fish, a few million zebra mussels and a bunch of parts of a wrecked ship.  There is a permanent mooring on the wreck now, with chain the entire way to the cleat on the bottom of the lake. Thanks to whomever got that done.

Now where are my coffee, and Red Bull, and more coffee, and a nap, and then more coffee? Heck can I just get a caffeine drip?    Stupid work.
06-15-2007, 05:30 PM,
Re: Trivers "Baldwin"

I know what you mean, isn't it terrible the way that work interferes w/ having fun?  I know that I'm about to give up my job so that I have more time to go boating.... Oh shoot, I gotta go!  It's time for me to take out a Sunset Cruise  >Big Grin
Dive Diva Charters, Door County WI
06-17-2007, 09:02 AM,
Chris-
The permanent buoy is courtesy of Wisconsin Historical Society and Wisconsin DNR, as result of solicitation of both agencies by local divers from Maritime Divers in Manitowoc.

There are now new State buoys on not only the S.C. Baldwin, but the McMullen and Pitz Dredge and the Francis Hinton.  Permanent buoys for other shipwrecks in the area are in the works. 

A current list of all State buoys is available on .

Tami

06-17-2007, 06:33 PM,
I'm curious as to the criteria used by the Wisconsin Historical Society as to which wrecks get "official" moorings and which get the privately placed bleach jugs. I've been on the Baldwin a few times. I don't know much about it historically, but it's really not that impressive. Is it any more historical than the Vernon or the Rouse Simmons? The Rouse Simmons seems to me to be the most historically significant wreck in the area with all of the books and articles written about "The Christmas Tree Ship"...... just curious ???
06-17-2007, 08:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-17-2007, 08:28 PM by Tamara Thomsen.)
Matt-
I absolutely agree with you that there are more historically significant wrecks than the S.C. Baldwin in the Manitowoc/Two Rivers area.  There are many criterion that go into making the decisions as to which wrecks receive State buoys- accessibility to all levels of divers, interest at the local level, ability to maintain the buoys, riparian/local/State/Coast Guard approval, historical significance, and available funding amongst other things.

But understand that although I work (strictly part time) for WHS Maritime Preservation and Archaeology Program, I am not posting on this site as the official voice of the State of Wisconsin.  That is definitely not in my job description.   I will have to defer your question to those responsible for that voice. 

For an official response you will need to email either Underwater Archaeologist, Keith Meverden (keith.meverden@wisconsinhistory.org) or State Archaeologist, John Broihahn (john.broihahn@wisconsinhistory.org).  Just a note: Keith is in Boston on an archaeological survey until the end of the month...so it may take a bit to hear back from him.

As you know, I like to dive the deeper and more historically significant wrecks too.  And I join you in wanting to see them buoyed in coming years.  For now, I am just as happy as everyone else that utilizes the wrecks in the Manitowoc/Two Rivers area for recreational and teaching purposes that these 3 new buoys were approved in record time and are now out for use this season.   If it was narrowed down to one person to be individually thanked for getting this new series of buoys in, it would be DNR Conservation Warden, Ryan Volenburg who hand walked the documents through the approval process.  Kudos to him! 

And kudos to the spirit of the divers from Maritime Divers for installing them this spring.

Tami
06-17-2007, 08:47 PM,
Matt-

FYI- here is the significance and brief history of the S.C. Baldwin.  This is part of an article that I wrote for the current issue of Advanced Diver Magazine:

Built in 1871 as a wooden steam barge with two-masts in Detroit, Michigan, the S.C. Baldwin was reportedly the first double decked steamer on the Lakes. She worked in the iron ore trade until 1902 when she was purchased by the Green Stone and Quarry Company of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. In 1903, her machinery was removed and she continued her service in the stone trade as a tow barge. On September 3, 1908, the S.C. Baldwin sprung a leak off Rawley Point and quickly took on water.  She capsized, then righted herself as she sank in 80 feet of water. Although largely broken, there is still much to see around the wreck site. Her capstan remains, as well as her starboard hogging arch. Cargo hatch combings can be found in the shifting sand.

If you haven't found the huge wooden hogging arch yet, it is quite impressive!  You should look for it next time you visit the wreck.  I can email you more information on ship construction if you are interested in learning.  It will definitely make your diving experience on the Baldwin (or any other flat wreck- for that matter) much more interesting next time that you visit!

Tami
06-18-2007, 05:47 AM,
Thanks for the reply. You put way more effort into it than I needed  Wink. If I run into Keith sometime I'll ask. Thanks again!
06-18-2007, 09:57 AM,
HeyTami-
DO you know who is in charge of that site......?
Realizing it requires a ton of work in addition to the plethora of work already performed by the society, do you know if there are any plans to update it anytime soon?

just curious......say hey to Keith for me
thanks
Deano
06-18-2007, 02:11 PM,

Dean-
Are you asking about the website or wreck site? 

Website-
It is jointly run by Wisconsin Historical Society and University of Wisconsin Sea Grant Institute.  I know that the new buoys and latest Maritime Trails Markers are still not up there yet...but give the IT guys a few more days (OK, a month) to get all the updates loaded. (Understaffed, budget cuts, etc, etc....).  In the mean time, if you want the GPS coordinates or other information just ask.

Wreck Site-
Wisconsin DNR.

Tami
06-19-2007, 10:36 PM,
Dean-  Looks like the new signs and buoys were added onto the site today!  (Someone out there must have noted the discord in my voice.)

Tami