Remember me
Lost Password Register

Walter B. Allen sad news
04-30-2007, 09:32 AM,
Walter B. Allen sad news
Dove the Allen on Saturday and am sad to report that the mzzen mast is down. It is laying over the starboard rail. The deck is not terribly damaged and it appears that the mast was lifted before it fell over. The logical conclusion is that it was hooked by a fishing net and toppled once it was pulled from the mast step. It remains a very nice dive but not as pristine as it was. In a side note, water temp was 37 and visibility was excellent. Could see the sunlight shimmering on the surface from the deck of the wreck.

Gary
04-30-2007, 03:54 PM,
Re: Walter B. Allen sad news
Its very sad that the Stern Mast is down, i always enjoyed traveling between the two masts at the end of the dive... :'(

Did you happen to see any fish net on the mast itself ??

Thanks

Bill  Smile
04-30-2007, 05:30 PM,
I've never been aft on the wreck, but I don't remeber there being a mizzen mast.  There was a main mast and a foremast in place the couple times I dove it.  Could you possibly mean one of those?  Sucks either way I guess.

Jim
04-30-2007, 09:05 PM,
Yes, sorry. Main is down. Didn't see any net with a quick look from the deck Bill. None of us went out to the end to look closely. Will do that next time. Need to cut the connecting line and remove it anyway. The mooring line from that mast is now submerged as well obviously.

Gary
05-01-2007, 05:11 AM,
Wow, double bummer.  The main mast had the crows nest and the hoops from the sail on it.  Well, like the paddle wheel from the Niagara, I'm glad I got to see it before its gone.

Jim
06-11-2007, 04:46 AM,
Sad,
I bet its no net as any comm fisherman knows this site well,just some jerk moored and as with the Northener-yank!
too bad the mast did not pull his boat down would of added a new dive site!
a sweet wreck