Remember me
Lost Password Register

Drysuit Recommendations (Revisited)
06-08-2007, 08:31 PM,
Drysuit Recommendations (Revisited)
Sorry but I fat fingered and accidental removed the thread instead of a double post so I am restarting it if anyone cares to discuss again. :-[
06-09-2007, 01:08 PM,
Re: Drysuit Recommendations (Revisited)
Well crap!  I didn't write any of the good info I got from those guys down cause I figured I could just look back in here anytime! Sad
The only good diver is a wet diver.
06-09-2007, 02:53 PM,
Quick Recap.
It is a drysuit, not a buoyancy suit
Get trilam or crushed neoprene
Front entry
Turbo soles or integrated boots, not sewn in socks with Rock boots
Fit is most important
I like a neoprene neck seal
Shoulder dump
dry gloves are a must
get bellows pockets right away
and a pee-valve if it works for you.
06-09-2007, 05:15 PM,
I'll make it easy. Get a DUI TLS 350 or CLX 450. ;D
06-09-2007, 11:25 PM,
Quick Recap.
It is a drysuit, not a buoyancy suit
Get trilam or crushed neoprene
Front entry
Turbo soles or integrated boots, not sewn in socks with Rock boots
Fit is most important
I like a neoprene neck seal
Shoulder dump
dry gloves are a must
get bellows pockets right away
and a pee-valve if it works for you.
[/quote]

I guess I agree with the majority of this, however I do have a couple comments.

I've never tried the neoprene neck seal so can't really compare and have had no trouble with latex.  Nearly all people I dive with have latex.  Don't really think "just because everyone else does it"  is a good reason, but it does make you think is there a reason most drysuits come standard with latex seals?  Maybe it's cheaper, so there's more profit margin.  Anyway, I've had no trouble with the latex seals.

I like zipper pockets over velcro, just because they will not come open when you don't want them to.  That's more personal preference, but DO get thigh pockets.

Front entry is VERY nice, but usually adds a couple hundred to the price of the suit.  If money is a real issue, I'd go with a better suit with back zip, instead of a lesser suit with front entry.

I've had integrated boots, and really prefer the Rock boots.  It eliminates any problem with air in your feet.  I could see where the turbo soles would be a good alternative.  If you went with integrated boots, or turbo soles, I would recommend gaiters, which will keep excess air out of your lower legs, especially if you end up with a trilam suit, which tend to be a looser fit than crushed neoprene.

I agree with dry gloves.  I spent the first 2 seasons after I moved up here diving with wet suit gloves, saying it wasn't too bad.  Well, if the water temp is below 50, it's only a matter of time until your hands get so cold you can't move them.  I REALLY like dry gloves.

My 2 cents...

Jeff
06-10-2007, 08:03 AM,
Jeff,
Welcome to what was a pretty long thread  before someone deleted it ;D  Not sure if you had a chance to read it or not.

I like the neoprene neck seal because it is warmer than the neoprene seal I had before.  It seemed that with the neoprene seal, there was always a bare spot on the back of my neck that was cold for obvious reasons.  They are also quite comfortable, and would be easier to make a boat repair on than a latex seal that would have a tendency to tear at a puncture point.

As for boots, I have integrated boots on my Bare Trilam ATR-HD, and I'm not a big fan.  They make it very difficult to get off, hold a bunch of air, I have size 13 feet, and make it so I have to wear Turtle fins, which are the equivalent of swimming with wet lasagna  noodles on your feet.  This winter, I will probably send my suit to Superior Drysuit repair and have Turbosoles put on it.  Bare offers a sock and external boots, but not a sock with a sole on it.

Omicron, on the other hand, likes the Bare integrated boots for their durability.

Dry Gloves are a must as you have mentioned.  While we are on the subject, I just picked up some Mountain Hardwear, Powerstretch liners and they are great.  They aren't bulky and very warm.  I noticed that Mountain Hardwear also makes a Scuba Liner, but I haven't tried it.  Stop by Divepoint Scuba and pick up a pair.