Remember me
Lost Password Register

Neck Seal
06-05-2007, 03:31 PM,
Neck Seal
What's the concensus on neck seals....  neoprene or latex?

I went with neoprene based on a recommendation due to cold water diving.  I find the neck seal very restricting and uncomfortable, and am considering swapping to latex, only if it's more comfortable!  I use a coffee can stuffed in the neck for ~24 hours prior to diving, and have had the suit about 2-3 years now, but no improvement in the comfort department.

Recommendations for a repair shop?  Maybe I'll put in a P-valve while I'm at it.

Thanks,
Chad
06-05-2007, 04:02 PM,
Re: Neck Seal
I've had both and you could not pay me to have a neoprene neck seal.  I have a 18.5 " neck to start with and there is no way I could wear the thing during a surface intereval.  Underwater the seal compresses and then it's comfortable.
    I've been using a Dive concepts suit for about a year and a half now.  All latex, wrist and neck seals.  They don't leak.  The neck seal does not have to be rolled in.  A little seal saver once in a while and your good to go. My two cents

Jim
06-05-2007, 04:05 PM,
I really like my neoprene seal, I just had a new one installed.  If there is a ton of material, you could trim a small bit of the seal with a very sharp shears, and it may give you more breathing room.  I trimmed my old seal because I had a nick in it near the top.  We eventually made it a bit smaller after the trim, but it wasn't leaking when I had it replaced.  the suit was in for some other things and I just had them do the neck seal too.

As for the pee valve, don't pay to have one installed.  Have a friend whack the hole in it and it is a 5 minute job.  I just had a difficult time intentionally putting a hole in my own suit.

Depending on what kind of suit it is, your repair options are probably the manufacturer, or Superior Drysuit Repair.  I just had my suit repaired by Bare and I'm happy with everything except the plug they installed where I once had my dump valve.    I have seen work done by Superior Drysuit Repair and it is top notch. 
06-05-2007, 06:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-05-2007, 06:27 PM by matt t..)
I had a latex neck seal originally, and now have neoprene. For the most part I prefer the neoprene. Comfort wise they're about the same for me. If shaving a day or 2 before diving I will get a rash with both. The neoprene is definitely warmer. Pee valves are easy to install. If you need help installing it I'll come down and do it for you. I don't have any problem putting a hole in someone elses suit  >Big Grin. If you're hesitant to do it yourself I highly recommend Superior Drysuit Repair. I had my suit worked on there a year ago and couldn't be happier. How's the foot these days?
06-05-2007, 06:41 PM,
I have only used a latex seal.  It has always worked well for me.  But with a size 19 neck, I do not have a lot of choice.

Doug
06-05-2007, 08:27 PM,
I like neoprene.  I have had both latex and neoprene and I have found that neo is much warmer and more durable than latex.  When a latex neck seal goes, it is usually requires a full repair and is generally unusable.  A neo seal you can goop with Aqua Seal/Cotol or Seal Cement and get back in business until you have the time to get it fully repaired.  I can understand the problem you are having if the seal is too small.  I don't think the problems you are having is because of neo, I think the seal is just plain too small.  If you decide to replace it make sure it is a seal that it sized specifically for your neck and you may find it much more comfortable.

I have first hand experience with Superior and they are top notch, not cheap, but you get what you pay for.  I have heard mostly good things about Drysuits Plus in Milwaukee but have no first hand experience.  You may be able to try on a seal there and test the fit before deciding on replacement.

I would have no problem with Matt punching a hole in my suit, if he is offering to help you, take him up on it.  Seriously, Matt is all about quality!!  No need for spending the extra money having it done by a shop.