Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dry Suit Inflator Value problem?
06-05-2007, 07:15 AM,
Dry Suit Inflator Value problem?
Was diving the big lake this weekend.  When I climbed on board I notice my undergarment was wet.  Under the garment my t-shirt was wet soaked in front but not in back. 

Thinking it was a rolled neck seal, I did another dive being careful to make sure all seals were OK.  More water came in, or the original stuff moved.  As I was taking off the suit, a zipseal on the wrist came off. 

Now for the million dollar question:  Since this is the suit's 10th dive, is it likely that it was the inflator valve since the water was on my front or could it have possibly been from a wrist seal.  It was not a flooding, just enough water to know it was there.  My arms were pretty dry, however, due to the pressure of the suit, doesn't the highest point stay the most dry?  The water from my arms could have gone down the suit during my 7 minute ascent.

Any thoughts?  Either it was a simple wrist seal that I fixed or possible inflater valve leak?  Try a shallow dive/pool dive or sent it in and be without it for a month?  Anyone have experience with an inflator valve leak?

Thanks for the help

06-05-2007, 08:12 AM,
Re: Dry Suit Inflator Value problem?
Have you checked to make sure the valve is tight in the suit?  If it is a new suit, and the valve is leaking, have the manufacturer send you a new valve.  You shouldn't have to be without a suit for any extended length of time with a valve issue.

Oh yeah, don't wear cotton under your drysuit.  Cotton+moisture= cold and wet.  Use a wicking synthetic undergarment. Wink
06-05-2007, 08:40 AM,
Back zip or front zip? If it was a wrist seal your hand and arm would have been wet first.
06-05-2007, 10:34 AM,
Back Zip

Didn't feel anything on the wrist/arm.  However, a trickle down the chest.  Didn't realize I had water until I felt the wet shirt under the suit. 

How do I know it is the valve?  Is there anything I can check to find the source?

06-05-2007, 11:02 AM,
You can blow up the suit and spray soapy water on the area you think is leaking.  Put tupperware or something similar in the neck seal, and you can use dry gloves or another suitable object to block the wrists.

I have had neck seals leak while looking up with very little gas in my suit.  Perhaps that was the culprit?
06-06-2007, 05:44 AM,
  If it was your wrist seal your arm would be wet.  Its not likely to be the inflator valve unless if its loosely attached to the suit.  Does the zipper have little threads starting to wear along the zipper.  I burn them off with a match.  The dump valve is the most likely leaker.  It may just have a piece of something in it under the valve.  Wash it out with some warm water.
    An authorized dealer should be able to figure out what is leaking.  And the manufacturer of the suit should be able to mail the new valve to your house within a week.  All the valves just screw on from behind.
    And remember to let us all know what it was when its fixed.
                                                Mike B

06-06-2007, 02:39 PM,
It may just be that you're not getting your neck seal "seated" properly or getting out of trim and to much into a vertical position, letting air burp out (and water in) your neck seal. Happens to me once in a while.