Remember me
Lost Password Register

Nitrox effect on Narcosis
05-23-2007, 07:02 AM,
Nitrox effect on Narcosis
I come to you to settle a disagreement about the effects of Nitrox at depth.  If a person is diving a nitrox mix for example EANx32, is the onset of narcosis at a deeper depth than if the person was breathing air?  Since the person is absorbing less nitrogen at depth due to the mix, would the onset of narcosis be at a greater depth or the same as air?
05-23-2007, 08:53 AM,
Re: Nitrox effect on Narcosis
Here is my opinion.  You may get a couple of different ones.  When decreasing the amount of nitrogen in the mix by either using additional oxygen or an other inert gas such as helium, you are obviously decreasing the effects of narcosis.  That is one of the big reasons for using trimix for deep diving.  However when using a mix like EAN 32, you are not drastically reducing the amount of nitrogen.  You went from 79% to 68%.  The equivalent air depth is the important factor here.  Since your max operating depth (MOD) will be approx 110 ft on EAN 32, you have an EAD of 90 ft.  So in a nutshell yes, the narcosis will less at the same depth when compared with breathing "highmix" (air).  Hope that helps Wink.

Todd
05-23-2007, 10:09 AM,
Re: Nitrox effect on Narcosis
Sure... using nitrox has an effect on narcosis....we all know why....but keep in mind...narcosis hits us all at different depths on different days on different dives at different times in different weather with different partners with a different attitude with a different breakfast with different hairstyles and it cetainly depends on which car you drive to the dive site.......my point is..i have been narced out of my mind at 160ft, but also felt that same on a different dive at 100 ft.  It can certainly depend on your preparation for the dive..or maybe you had to get into your dry suit and wait on the boat in the sun on a 90 deg day..or it could be a simple as your hydration..or maybe the fact that you ate the licorice, charmes blow pop, or gold fish crackers prior to entering the water. 

yes it has an effect..but is it able to be measured.....realistically?

my 2 cents