Remember me
Lost Password Register

New equipment
03-07-2003, 06:30 PM,
New equipment

So, what new equipment are you looking at buying this year?

I bought an Andys DS3 drysuit earlier this winter and ordered a halcyon backplate/wing today. I think I have reached my gear limit for the season.
--Jason
03-08-2003, 09:16 AM,
Re:New equipment
You'll love the Halcyon Backplate and wing! I have the 27# wing and find it grerat for single tank and travel diving. It packs even smaller than my old Transpac.

I am hoping to get a wide angle lens for my digital camera housing. I need to sell my doubles to pay for it though. :'(

Jon
03-10-2003, 08:35 PM,
I'm looking to get my own tanks this year...I've purchased everything except for those. I just got my drysuit (Typhoon Front Entry) about a month ago. I've got one high pressure aluminum 100 from my dad, who doesn't dive anymore. I'd like to get a couple low pressure steel 120's and outfit them with h-valves...of course, along with those h-valves goes another set of Poseidon regulators...yikes. It's going to be expensive, but well worth it once I get it all together.
03-10-2003, 09:48 PM,
I agree with needing the tanks. I'm still diving Alum 80's. I'd like to switch to steel tanks in the future. But I may have to wait another year.
--Jason
03-10-2003, 11:55 PM,
Love those steel tanks. Looking at getting 2 more steel 95s this year. May look at 120s.

Probably going to look into h-valves on these tanks.

Son could use a dry suit. Will be keeping my eyes open for a deal or a good used suit.

The rest will be what comes up as the year progresses
03-14-2003, 02:33 PM,

Omnicron- You should put that HP AL100 on e-bay and use the money towards a new LP steel. Maybe you should rethink the Poseidon thing if you want to save some money & time. There are plenty of other good regs out there that are just as good deep. Apeks and ScubaPro to name a few. Some of these models are cheaper to buy and much cheaper to maintain and to find quality service for. Why deal with non-standard hoses, ice crystals down your throat, an IP that will blow the tongue out of the back of your head when purged, hard to find parts and service, poor performance in shallow water unless tuned to the gnats ass, etc. At least the new ones are not "upstream."

-Just my two cents...

Darren

03-14-2003, 02:43 PM,
LP Steel is definitely the goal someday - but I'm not going to get rid of my only tank to get new tanks Smile Well, maybe I will when I get the money saved up.

I've dove Scubapro regs....I dunno...just not a fan of them really. I got my poseidon for $350 brand new which isn't bad at all. The ScubaPro S600 was something close to $600 at the time. Plus, my LDS sells and services Poseidon regs so it's no problem for me to find parts for them.

I personally loooove my Poseidon. I had to dive rental/borrowed regs for the first couple of months that I was diving so I tried a lot of different regulators. Poseidon's were the ones that really got my attention. I love mine.

But yeah - those things do just about blow your tonsils out the back of your head when you purge them...which I wish you could change but it's not that bad.

One of these days I want to dive an Apeks reg - I've heard so many people say so many good things about them that I would like to give one a try.
03-14-2003, 02:51 PM,
I dumped my Posidens after they spit ice down my throat while I was doing a salvage job under 4' of pack ice with no visability- not the place to have something go wrong!

Since that happened I have seen them freeze shut and stop giving air to at least one other instructor that I know.

I have a couple of Apeks regs and can't say enough good things about them.

I don't blame you on not liking the Scubapros. They freeze up all the time and have thus earned the nick-name
Scuba-flows.

Jon
03-14-2003, 02:57 PM,
I really don't like the S600's - there were a batch of them around here that virtually guaranteed a free flow at around 80 feet or so. It happened to me once on a rental reg and once on a borrowed on....it was not fun. It turned out there was something wrong with the first stage that they were repairing.

I've never really had a problem with my Poseidons yet though. Maybe if I see you out at Wazee this summer I could try one out Smile

I'll be camping out there with a group of divers june 13/14/15 this summer, so we could possibly get some more people together out there. It's also the weekend that the DUI demo days are out there.
03-14-2003, 03:17 PM,
One of the best cold water regulator tricks I got from Greogre III. I have detuned the I.P. pressure on all of my regs down to 120psi. Super high I.P. pressures, like Posiden uses, are only needed for deep air diving, which I no longer do.
You can take a cheap POS regualtor and make it breath like a champ by pumping helium through it instead of air at depth.

Jon