Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lake Mendota
03-30-2007, 09:19 AM,
Lake Mendota
We did a trash collection dive this morning in front of the Memorial Union - there was only day left this month to avoid breaking my "dive-every-month" streak in March for the second year in a row.  It was outrageously cold, but viz was pretty good - better than 15 feet at least. 

We spent about 40 minutes picking up broken bottles, Doritos bags, dead cell phones, and other junk, before we found an enormous ship's anchor sticking out of the muck.  We tried digging it out, but it's very buried and probably weighs several hundred pounds, and all we could see was one of the tines.  We're planning on heading back next week to try to get some photos.

Our dive today means that Tami managed to dive this year both the day before the lake froze over and the week the ice broke up.  I thought that was a pretty good record.

Ethan
03-30-2007, 11:41 AM,
Re: Lake Mendota
The anchor is similar in size and shape to the one that was discovered by Jim Kennedy and Kimm Donkle 8 years ago.  Their anchor was found at the month of the Yahara River in Lake Monona, and now is on display by the boat launch at Governor Nelson State Park.  I believe a photo is in the "Our Four Lakes" book.

Tami
03-30-2007, 12:07 PM,
Correction:  I went back through my logbook - Kennedy and Donkle found the Yahara River anchor in 1994. 

I feel old.
03-30-2007, 02:25 PM,
Are you guys planning on raising the anchor?  I know there's large metal spoked wheels at the Shorewood sight as well.  Do you happen to know anything about them?
Life's Short, Dive Hard
03-30-2007, 03:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-30-2007, 03:09 PM by Tamara Thomsen.)
Jim-  I'm familiar with the wheels at Shorewood-in all likelihood they're abandoned moorings.  Lots of stuff was thrown in the lake in that area for that purpose- have you found the radiator and the two engine blocks?  The dead-give-away is the chain that is wrapped up with them.

In order to remove the anchor we would have to acquire a permit from the Wisconsin Historical Society.  Immediately after finding it, we did notified the State Archaeologist, John Broihahn (his office was right across the street- so it wasn't too far out of the way for us).  We'll leave it up to him whether or not he wants it raised.

Next week Ethan and I will try to get back out there to photograph it, get some measurements, do a site drawing and get an exact GPS location.

Tami
04-02-2007, 01:39 PM,
We went out again today to take another look at the anchor and get some photos.  Photo credit goes to Tamara Thomsen (though it was pretty murky due to all the rain, so I think she might rather not take credit).  To give you some sense of scale, I would guess it's about four feet tall.

This was the first time out this season for my boat.  The engine belt loosened up over the winter and we managed to overheat the engine because the water pump wasn't turning fast enough!  We sat adrift for a while in the middle of the lake (no other boats) while we waited for it to cool off (and while I futzed with a failed neutral safety switch - had to restart the engine by touching a piece of wire to the battery and the starter solenoid), but ended up making it back unaided.  It's a lonely feeling being broken down in the middle of the lake with not a boat in sight.  Hopefully I didn't warp the heads!

Ethan

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   MendotaAnchor1.jpg_thumb (Size: 29.29 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   MendotaAnchor2.jpg_thumb (Size: 29.75 KB / Downloads: 0)
04-02-2007, 06:38 PM,
Haven't found the engine blocks yet, but plan to get out there soon. I know about where they are.  Planning to help with the Kiwanis Pond in Janesville on Saturday.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
04-02-2007, 10:12 PM,
Jim-  We have fairly thorough maps at Diversions for both Shorewood and Kiwanis Pond that were done during several years of Divemaster classes.  I won't be in the shop tomorrow, but I'll try to dig them out tomorrow night.  If you want to stop by later in the week, you can take a look.

Tami
04-03-2007, 08:40 PM,
Tami put togther a drawing based on sketches and measurements we made during the dive yesterday.  I've attached a copy here:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.png_thumb   anchor.png_thumb (Size: 16.06 KB / Downloads: 0)
05-12-2007, 04:19 PM,
Went diving at Shorewood Thursday to try underwater fishing.  Saw lots of large carp, but weren't interested in my bait.  Vis was 20' plus.  I heard Monona Terrace was just as good and lots more fish.
Life's Short, Dive Hard