Remember me
Lost Password Register

Home Gas Mixers
03-29-2007, 03:24 PM,
Home Gas Mixers
I am interested in hearing from our local gas blenders....how long have you been blending? Why did you start in the first place?  How much do you figure you spent to set up your mixing station? The gas grade you use...etc.

I have to admit that the price of nitrox and trimix is the reason I started mixing my own gases.  Having worked at a dive shop really gave me the confidence to mix on my own....plus the appropriate courses.....and now I have been mixing for about 2 1/2years.  I estimate that each year I have saved 300-500 dollars. Probably more   
Being able to mix what I want, when I want is nice.

For me to set up my fill whip it cost about $200 because I originally used an analog fill gauge.  The reason you see a digital gauge now has nothing to do with accuracy of the fill, but me being a idiot and breaking the analog one.  I use industrial grade O2 and Ultra High Purity Helium. (I do realize that there has been past discussions on gases)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Whip1.JPG_thumb (Size: 40.62 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Fill station1.JPG_thumb (Size: 37.34 KB / Downloads: 0)
03-29-2007, 07:55 PM,
Re: Home Gas Mixers
What's the cost and volume of one of those T bottles of O2?
And He?
Do you need a booster or is the psi enough to fill LP tanks via the whip directly?

Just curious - not looking to get myself killed without proper training. I recall seeing some pretty vivid Florida house explosion photos due to some filling in the garage...those keep me from getting into this for now.

03-29-2007, 08:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-29-2007, 09:14 PM by Bigdiver.)
I believe the O2 bottle contains 250cf and the Helium contain 291cf (I know that forsure). I pay $15 for the O2 ( K size bottle) and ~$100 for the UHP helium.  I do own only LP tanks, so I don't need to boost anything. Obviously, since I don't own a booster or a compresser I need to really think about my fills, in order to get the most effective volume from the tank.

Not to belittle the extreme importance of safety when blending, but having worked in the scuba industry for a few years and have been in many shops with questionable conditions.  There are a few shops that store there cylinders and blend in an area that closely resembles a fab shop. (i.e. dirt, oil, grease) **not ideal conditions You can't afford to be careless!
04-19-2007, 01:31 PM,
I just got the bill from praxair for my last gas purchase.  $80 for UHP helium and $12 for oxygen ;D
Helium prices seem to be dropping since last year.
04-19-2007, 04:18 PM,
Good to hear helium prices are going down. I had heard elsewhere that they were still on the way up.
04-19-2007, 05:54 PM,
I've been blending for about 2 years now.  I decided to set up my own fill station because of the convenience and price, not to mention I enjoy blending and there are not a whole lot of shops that I trust.  I am currently using 5 nines medical spec Helium and ABO (aviators breathing oxygen).  I currently pay $68 for He and $12 for ABO.  I figure I spent around $350-$400 on my whip using an analog supply gauge and digital blend gauge.  Partial pressure blending is alright but I am pretty tired of sending my He bottles back with 200-400 psi in them so I am thinking about continuous blending in the future so I can scavenge all the damn helium before sending the bottles in. ;D

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   IMG_1657_1_1.JPG_thumb (Size: 39.51 KB / Downloads: 0)
04-19-2007, 06:10 PM,
Wow that looks great!!  Smile  Who is your gas supplier? (those helium prices are much better than mine) :'(

I have thought about continuous blending also, but I just can't swing the cost of a compressor or for that matter, the cost to rebuild one.  I would have to say that in some ways continuous blending is simpler than PP blending.
04-19-2007, 08:27 PM,

Thanks, I have a much nicer mountain bike hanging over the station now too. ;D  My gas supplier is LifeGas.  I have been pretty happy with them.  I don't have to BS them about what I use the gas for either.  Whenever I stop by they always seem pretty interested in the dives we have been doing and where we are going next.

It looks like I may have just bought a Rix SA6, just waiting on the details.  It should be fun putzing with it and setting up a blending system, not that I need another project or anything. Big Grin