Remember me
Lost Password Register

Oriskany Dive
03-28-2007, 06:58 AM,
Oriskany Dive
The Lake Lanier Looney Birds recently took a dive trip to the USS Oriskany. Water was a balmy 62 degrees I wore a 5 mm wetsuit. We had nice viz (50-60 feet) and two great dives.

The first dive was to the flight deck (139 feet) then we moved back up the tower for the rest of the dive at about 60-80 feet. I was using 28 EAN.

The viz wasn't good enough for me to try my photomerge work so I just puttered around the tower taking shots of the various structures and fish, like this Goby that found himself a conduit just his size:

Also saw the other side of a fish story, somewhere someone is bragging about this one that got away:

The arrow crabs love the Oriskany and are all over the tower surface, a regular infestation! Probably the worst case of crabs the Big "O" has seen since Subic Bay...

Cracked a rib between the first and second dives leaning over the side to rinse my mask out (had to lean way over balancing on the rib cage) but did the second dive anyway. Had to skip the rest of the dives that weekend though.

A final shot of the flags:

Safe Dives!

Mike
03-29-2007, 05:31 PM,
Re: Oriskany Dive
great pictures!  That is a trip I would like to take.  Did you do any other diving while you were down there?
03-29-2007, 06:00 PM,
Re: Oriskany Dive
Between the first and second dive I leaned over the side to rinse my mask and ended up breaking a rib (believe it or not) the doctor said I probably shouldn't so I missed the Whiskey Wreck, The Gulf SHore Jetties and Morrison Springs...bummer.

Mike