Remember me
Lost Password Register

Weighting Salt vs. Fresh
03-26-2007, 11:43 AM,
Weighting Salt vs. Fresh
I will be diving outside of Wisconsin for the first time and am looking for weighting advice in salt water.  How much weight should I take off from a fresh water 7 mil fullsuit w/ hood + gloves to a salt water 3 mil no, hood/gloves?  I use 16-18 lbs for WI dives.  Any suggestions?
03-26-2007, 06:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-26-2007, 07:09 PM by matt t..)
Re: Weighting Salt vs. Fresh
It would probably be best to know what you need in fresh water with that set up, and then add 6-10 lbs. I would try to get into an indoor pool (unless you're not scared of "shrinkage"  ;D), and get that straight first.
03-27-2007, 07:11 AM,
I'd use the pool and then add 1 pound for salt water.

To be correct, it's 3% more for salt water but that's normally < 1 pound.

03-27-2007, 07:55 AM,
Guess I was a "little" off in my guestimate  ;D.
03-27-2007, 04:07 PM,
I would be willing to bet that you will require more than 1 lb....and most certainly for your first dive..you would do best to get in a pool in the gear you will dive..and add 4 to 6 lbs..for your first dive..keep in mind..you will be diving in something you have never dove before..and you will be excited....you will most probably use air quicker and require more weight..you will be able to shed some of this extra weight by the end of your trip if you make a couple of dives, but you will want it for your first dive at least....i am 6'4" 280lbs..i dive a full farmer 3 mmm...iwith an aluminum 80..and a bc..i use 12lbs..this is a bit heavy and i can use 8lbs..but then i have a problem with floating up at the end of the dive because of the cylinder...you will find many people that use less than that..and i have as well...i just like this weight for me...g/l
03-27-2007, 09:50 PM,
I'm 6-2, 190lb, and wear around 4lb total with a full 3mil in salt water.  I also dive with a backplate+wing so that reduces some of the bulk. My guess without knowing your body type is that you might start with around 10lb.  Your best bet is to test out the configuration in the pool or do a buoyancy test at the start of your first dive.  Much of the weighting depends on your body type, experience level, and gear.  I shed 6 lbs of weight in salt water after gaining more experience.
--Jason
03-27-2007, 10:06 PM,
Seawater is about 2.5 percent more buoyant than fresh water, so start with your total weight while diving, including weight belt, tanks and all the gear, and add 2.5 percent to that.  This worked for me when diving fresh water Lake Michigan to salt water Puget Sound, same dive configuration, drysuit and undies.  But of course, you are changing that!  I think the sugestion of trying your future configuration in a fresh water setting, and then adjusting from there is excellent, if you have the opportunity.
04-04-2007, 05:55 PM,

Did the math on this calculation and indeed the math is weight of the diver, equipment and weights in fresh water times 0.03 and add this to the weight you use in fresh water.  The main assumption here is that the volume and density of diver and equipment do not change.  Good assumption if the equipment is not changed.  When changing equipment this will change dramatically, especially when changing exposure protechtion.

However, the major item is beingexperienced and relaxing.  A 6 pound difference is easily achieved with experience.

I would have guessed you would need 10-12 pounds.

Doug