Remember me
Lost Password Register

Overcoming dry throats
03-18-2007, 08:52 AM,
Overcoming dry throats
I'm wanting to extend my bottom time and get into some tech diving, but I sometimes get a dry throat which makes it harder to control my breathing and wanting to get to the surface for a break.  I do drink fluids ahead of time and sometimes sip the water which helps, but saltwater or questionable lakes (Monona, lots of duck crap) is not an option.  Does anyone use or tried the inline moisture units?  If I get into deco dives, I need to get a better handle on this issue.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
03-18-2007, 09:12 AM,
Re: Overcoming dry throats
Never tried any of the those units but lets look at this from another angle. Try some electrolites in your water the night before and AM before your dive. Not that crappy gatoraid stuf but some real electrolites from the health food store. You can get it with or without vitamin c depending on if the C irritates your tummy.  It helps with me anyway.
03-18-2007, 10:19 AM,
I usually drink the Powerade, tastes better than Gaterade, Sometimes I'll drink iced tea, I try to avoid soda.  I'll have to keep better tabs on what I drink ahead of time to see what works and what doesn't.  I will give the electrolytes a try.  It'll be a week before I can get back in the water again, my catfish gave me a nasty rash bite mark on my wrist, I'm dealing with a little bit of a head cold and I'm waiting for a part for my BC.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
03-18-2007, 10:40 AM,
Water, water, water and more water.  That is about the only thing that will actually keep you hydrated.  If you are urinating clear fluid before the dive you have a baseline measure of proper hydration.

For recreational diving, those inline devices are probably fine (never used one).  If you are planning on technical diving it really just adds another unnecessary failure point to your rig.  You can always drag along a bag drink like Capri Sun if you get thirsty during decompression.  Another option is this:

I am pretty sure it is just a standard hydration bladder and one way valve but no one I dive with has used it.  I would definitely stick with some outside source of inwater hydration before modifying my life support equipment.

03-18-2007, 11:23 AM,
I like the bladder idea, could stick it in my BC pocket since I don't have doubles yet.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
03-19-2007, 07:33 PM,
dont forget the pee valve :Smile
03-19-2007, 08:03 PM,
Have wetsuit, have instant heat ;D
Life's Short, Dive Hard
03-20-2007, 02:53 PM,
yeah..i suppose..i used to pee in the wet suit too..then i realized...maybe i shouldnt just take a sip while diving when my mouth is dry......especially in the pool
04-12-2007, 12:38 PM,
I have had the same problem when I dove in cancun.  The dive master told me to chew a little bit on my mouthpiece to start salavating.  It worked for me.  so maybe this will help.