Remember me
Lost Password Register

Redgranite Quarry
03-04-2007, 05:44 PM,
Redgranite Quarry
A few of us had some fun at Redgranite quarry today.    The weather was sort of nice, at least the sun was out.  Doug and Todd were there, so we had some of the best looking line tenders around.  I arrived after the work was done...thanks guys!  There was about a foot of slush on top of the ice, and visibility at depth (60-80ft) was around 10-15ft.  I have no idea what it was shallower, because it was pretty stirred up when I got in after several other divers had their way with the bottom.
My suit is in the shop getting some things done to it, so I dove a CF200 from the Shipwreck Adventures rental department.  Thank you Greg.  My first dive in a DUI suit, and it was quite nice and very comfortable.  That said, two points were driven home today.  1) Crushed neoprene, even when crushed to within and inch of it's life, is slightly more buoyant than my Bare tri-lam suit.  2)Inflation gas with Helium in it has very poor thermo properties.  Of course, neither of these lessons were a surprise, i just wish I remembered my drysuit inflation bottle and the plate weight sitting nest to it when I left the house this morning.  It was much better than not diving, but it would have been even nicer if I had been warm.  We spent around 30 minutes on the bottom along the wall, near the restaurant.  We hoped to maybe find the bike that the chumps dumped in the quarry late last year.  No luck finding the bike, and I ran out of rope to go any further. 
For the record, I didn't specifically mix tri-mix in my doubles to do an ice dive at Redgranite quarry.  I had a set that had been air topped a time or two that I would rather dive than dump.  It was almost 21% and I didn't get scared when the vis got milky at 80+feet  Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Two holes are better than one.jpg_thumb (Size: 27.64 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Todd shocker and EB.jpg_thumb (Size: 33.78 KB / Downloads: 0)
03-04-2007, 05:46 PM,
Re: Redgranite Quarry
Here are a couple more...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   surface slush.jpg_thumb (Size: 33.54 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Doug using both hands.jpg_thumb (Size: 33.94 KB / Downloads: 0)
03-04-2007, 08:43 PM,
I was surprised at the amount of water on top of the ice.  A good 6 inches.  You could almost do a dive on teh surface.  Stood ankel deep in the water while tending line.  No problem with a dry suit on, but would not have wanted to do this with most types of boots.

Shallow was churned up by the time I got in, but really liked the deep.  Ice diving is one of my favorites.  Spent over an hour underwater as they kept tag teaming me with buddies.  Dove with 3 different buddies with little more than a peak above the surface before down again.  This was good fun and I did not mind as the div9ing was good.

Todd, CHris and George were there.  So it was a great get together.  Todd's new Suburban looks like a tank hauling machine.  I am sure there will be plenty of helium on board.

See you at the bottom.

Doug
03-08-2007, 02:18 PM,
Did any of you find the top half of the statue?  The base was still sitting on the rock in aug/sept.><))>
DEW &gt;&ltWink)&gt;
03-27-2007, 09:10 PM,
Well Red granite Quarry is officially clear of ice.  Jim and I made a dive there this evening.....Jim drove out there yesterday and it still had ice on it.    Guess 80degree weather can do that.

Matt
03-28-2007, 05:10 AM,
How was the vis?
03-28-2007, 05:26 AM,
I would say about 15ft.    I have a hunch that, if it doesn't rain too hard it will get better.