Remember me
Lost Password Register

Door County
03-13-2007, 04:16 AM,
Door County
My family is going to Potowatomi State Park in July (2 1/2 miles from Sturgeon Bay). Can any one help me out with shore dive ideas? My daughter said she is tired of "tempered" viz and would like to see something other than bluegills.So would I . Any local contact information would be greatly appreciated.
                                    Thanks
                                      Randy
WORK IS FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T DIVE!
03-13-2007, 06:16 AM,
Re: Door County
Stop in at Green Bay scuba and pick up one of thier dive guides.  Cost is $2.50 and it has 29 shore dives in it and maps.  Theres Bullhead Point in Sturgeon Bay that has a couple of old hulks.  Theres a wreck in the Shallows off Jacksonport and of Course the Fleetwing in Garret Bay just out of Gills Rock.

Jim
03-13-2007, 07:48 AM,
There's a few other spots as well that make good snorkels or dives.  There are threads on these.  These can be done as shore dives.  Do take a flag.

Cave Point on a calm day, snorkel/dive.  Geologic/wreckage.
Europe Lake, snorkel this first as there are no zebra mussels yet.  10' max depth.
Northport, rock shelves, snorkel/dive.  Geologic.

Pic bullhead point.  Take a knife! Lots of fishline!  Weedy during summer.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   bullhdpt.JPG_thumb (Size: 34 KB / Downloads: 0)
DEW >&ltWink)>
03-13-2007, 07:22 PM,
Randy- 

You should check out Wisconsin Historical Society's websites:  and for information before you go.  You'll find locations and a bit of history for alot of wreck sites to dive and snorkel in Door County.  It is nice to have the story to go with the places that you are visiting- makes it more interesting and educational.  The Maritime Trails site also has information on lighthouses, museums and parks with a maritime related theme.
03-14-2007, 06:17 AM,
I second SwimJims GBS advice ,its a great chart!
and third Tamara's The WHS site has some of the best info and links to be found!Its so cool to find the history on a site prior to your dive's and if you go thru the links you can find GPS no#s and locations,photos,ect,,,
Too many times I dive with divers that seem more into the dive than the history of the site-with all the history out on the web you will find our Great Lakes rich in history and to me a trip back in time!
Keep up the good work Tamara and Kieth
Brad I 
03-15-2007, 03:30 AM,

you also may be able to salvage some snagged fishing lures and bobbers around bullhead point, and you might also see some small mouth bass in amongst the old hulks there.
Dave Job, Port Washington WI
03-15-2007, 07:06 AM,
From my trips there last year, lots of little perch in the wrecks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
><))>                  ><))>          <((><        ><))>

<((><                    ><))> ;D<((><
DEW &gt;&ltWink)&gt;
04-03-2007, 09:22 PM,
I did some diving at Porcupine Bay a couple years ago. Nice spot, you can swim out a way and get to a steep rocky dropoff that will get you down to about 75'. It's on Green Bay Scuba's shore dive list.
Dennis