Remember me
Lost Password Register

Mystery Wisconsin Quarry 1973
03-05-2007, 07:03 AM,
Mystery Wisconsin Quarry 1973
Back in 1973 I was working at McHenry Illinois. I would drive around looking for places to dive back then on weekends. I remember going to lake Geneva, but there was a great quarry I used to dive and I want to know if any of you Wisconsin divers can identify it. First of all, it was in lower eastern wisconsin. I think it was. Thats 30 years ago. It was a quarry with a swim beach on one end. It was roped off. The quarry had high straight walls on the right as you looked at it from the beach area. It was DEEP! I remember going there and there were cliffs underwater, I dont remember how deep, but there were old cars, and I think a school bus that had been "Driven" in there years ago, likely by vandals. There was a early 50's ford with the gearshift still up in second! It was VERY clear water. Where is this quarry, and what is its name? Where is it located?  Can anyone help me? Thank you so much. I sure would like to go back if its still decent!  Broxton Chuck
03-05-2007, 04:00 PM,
Re: Mystery Wisconsin Quarry 1973
Sounds like racine quarry.  It's at Hwy 38 and Rapids drive and you have to pay to get in.  The school bus part I don't know about but if you want to see one I think there still is one a Pearl lake (a scuba park) idown by Beloit.
03-05-2007, 04:41 PM,
I remember the place vividly. I drove over there in my 1962 corvair spyder. Had a cool Old Style in my hand. That was a great place to dive. Ill get a map and check it. Have you guys heard of White lake, at Montello. I know a guy who lives there and he says its super clear. BroxtonChuck
03-05-2007, 06:28 PM,
Ahh, the good old days ;D. My dad and his buddies used to dive at Racine quarry, I think there's a trench that's around 100 feet deep or so. From what I hear, visibility has been bad there for years. If you ever get over there, post a report for us. I would like to check it out sometime.
03-05-2007, 07:23 PM,
Vis in the quarry got REALLY good for a while in the 90's and Brad Friend laid all kinds of line on the bottom of it so you could go all over the place and never get lost.

The trench is more like 80-85' deep. When the vis was good you could swim right over the top and really good some perspective on how big it was. Most of the bottom was in the 60' range.

The rock there is also full of fossils.

I remember a few cars but no bus???

Jon
03-05-2007, 07:36 PM,
You know how it is.....He's 60 now. The memory goes with age ;D.
03-05-2007, 08:25 PM,
Jerry turns 60 in a couple of months so you can mention that to him next time your on the Len-der. Wink

Jon
03-06-2007, 02:06 PM,
I have to say thank you to you guys, as I never remembered where the place was. BUT I remember what a swell dive it was. The bus......... maybe I was wrong about that. Ive been in a lot of quarrys over the years. It was amazingly clear, and the water was not too cold, as I didnt dive with a hood. I want to go back up there some time and re live my youth.  After that dive,  this was back in 1974 or so..I went to the Minnesota state fair at St. Paul, and shot fireworks for the entertainment. They featured Sonny and Cher and a new guy. John Denver. Also I think they had Rowan and Martin. Their trailer was so full of smoke you you could "feel" it!  How about White lake at Montello. Has anyone been there?
03-06-2007, 04:23 PM,
Ok Matt, I'll remember that next time I see you, and Jerry just might decide to let you swim home! I thought it might be Racine also but that's really not that close to Lake Geneva. The only other one I can think of Chuck is Pearl Lake (quarry) by rockford. Dorothy
03-06-2007, 04:25 PM,
Opps, sorry I didn't notice that Carrie had signed me off. Sorry Carrie