Remember me
Lost Password Register

Do we need to change diver recovery methods?
02-27-2007, 06:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-28-2007, 07:36 AM by LKunze.)
Do we need to change diver recovery methods?
In looking at MDR reports and other medical evidence could we possibly save a few more lives?

Mike
02-27-2007, 09:11 PM,
Re: Do we need to change diver recovery methods?
Redo the link - it's too long to be displayed/formatted properly.

Check out - it's a handy service for turning really long URL's into really short ones that are easier to post.
02-28-2007, 07:07 AM,
Fixed!
03-07-2007, 07:12 PM,
I am a paramedic and psd, our belief is your not dead until you're  warm and dead.  We do NOT rocket bodies to the surface for that reason.
03-08-2007, 06:46 PM,
If you die at depth on scuba, it really doesn't matter (physiologically) what rate you bring the body up.  You need ventilation and circulation to exchange absorbed gasses and prevent PE/AGE.  A dead diver has neither.  You can just about guarantee that bringing them up at any rate will generally cause some form of emboli and consequent tissue damage.

The "mammalian dive reflex" really doesn't come into play until you see a fairly drastic reduction in CORE body temperatures.  When you have a diver in exposure protection, who stops breathing/circulating at depth they are generally still warm.  Unlike a swimmer with virtually no exposure protection, it will take a fairly significant amount of time (as far as cellular death is concerned) for the body to cool down enough to reach those "self protected" core temps.  During this time anoxia is wreaking havoc on vital brain and cardiac tissues.  In general, the "mammalian dive reflex" is an anomaly that may or may not influence the outcome of a cold water drowning.  There seems to be little consensus in the medical community on the exact nature of the mechanism and factors that influence it outside of temperature and age.

It is a noble thought Mike but the reality of breathing compressed gas at depth brings about a whole different set of rules that really limits our ability to resuscitate divers who, for whatever reason, were unable or unwilling to prevent their death.

03-08-2007, 06:49 PM,
The diver part I agree with but the article also spoke of non-diver recovery that was the issue I was commenting on.  You made excellent points.
03-08-2007, 09:38 PM,
Thanks Carl.  I do agree with you on the non diver recovery.
06-04-2007, 09:41 AM,
I can't find the original article, can someone direct me to a copy.  Perhaps the article is too old?  Any help would be appreciated.

Chris
06-05-2007, 08:44 PM,
Chris if you click on the link in the first post I think you will find it still there.  I clicked on that one and it popped up.
06-05-2007, 08:45 PM,
Sorry Chris, I was wrong.  You might have to PM the original poster for the information.