Remember me
Lost Password Register

Anywhere thawed out yet?
03-11-2007, 12:05 AM,
Re: Anywhere thawed out yet?

We've done the hike a half dozen or so times over the years, but I haven't done it since getting a boat two years ago.  Come some time during the summer and we'll take you.  It's a fun dive and actually is worth the hike (even though the habitat has collapsed), though it's far easier from the boat.  Unfortunately they don't allow vehicles without getting a permit (which is very difficult to get nowadays - we haven't done a drive-and-dive there since at least 2002), so they won't let you ride your motorcycle.  I've always wanted to try it with a bike and trailer though.

3than
03-11-2007, 06:56 AM,
Govt. Pier is the northern breakwall along Mc Kinnley Marina.

I've always dove the habitat by boat as it's far easier. This year I do have the bike set-up for doing it on foot and will give it a go once the ice thaws.

Here's a shot of my new ride.  8)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   xtracycle.jpg_thumb (Size: 38.95 KB / Downloads: 0)
03-11-2007, 07:05 AM,

Cool.  I see it has an extended swing arm for drag racing. ;D
03-11-2007, 08:12 AM,
I am planning on being at the outlet around 12:15 today, I forgot I have to do something late this morning.  It would interesting to watch you freedivers do your thing.  No way would I be able to keep up with you guys with that fin :o.  I've been learning a little about the sport over the last year and the world records are amazing to me.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
03-11-2007, 02:15 PM,
Apparently it's too warm out lately, the pumps haven't been on recently and the lake froze over Sad.  Make sense?!  Gonna try again Monday after work.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
03-12-2007, 06:42 AM,

We've done the hike a half dozen or so times over the years, but I haven't done it since getting a boat two years ago.  Come some time during the summer and we'll take you.  It's a fun dive and actually is worth the hike (even though the habitat has collapsed), though it's far easier from the boat.  Unfortunately they don't allow vehicles without getting a permit (which is very difficult to get nowadays - we haven't done a drive-and-dive there since at least 2002), so they won't let you ride your motorcycle.  I've always wanted to try it with a bike and trailer though.

3than
[/quote]
Just pulling your leg about the motorcycle  Wink. We may have to check that out this summer.
03-12-2007, 08:12 PM,
Got to get wet today.  A lot of ice melted today. Large open water area at the outlet.  At the shore you can't see 6 inches, about 30' out it's great viz 20' plus.  Saw a nice large tiger muskie at top of the slope.  It was checking me out as much as I was eyeing him.  We were within 5' of each other several times.  I was kicking myself for not having a camera with me.  Later I found a good size crayfish that I would have loved to try to feed the Muskie, but I was too low on air to go back to find him.  Brought it home and fed it to my Redtail Catfish.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
03-16-2007, 05:34 PM,
A couple of small holes have opened in the bay on Skumbago.  If we get some more warm weather, the reef should open up.  (props & lures)
DEW >&ltWink)>
03-19-2007, 01:47 PM,
Is Devils Lake opened up yet?
03-19-2007, 06:01 PM,
No, I stopped there on my way home from Baraboo.  By the weekend I think half the lake will be open.  I might attempt going on Sunday, but will call 3 Devils first.  Saturday, I am going to the Ghost Ship Festival in Milwaukee.
Life's Short, Dive Hard