Remember me
Lost Password Register

Anywhere thawed out yet?
03-09-2007, 01:20 PM,
Re: Anywhere thawed out yet?
Did you guys see the carp with its tail cut off?  I saw that fish on nearly every dive there a few years ago, and the one time I did it last year it was still there.  It's a fairly big buffalo and its tail is cut at a 45deg angle (boat prop?).  It seemed to be doing pretty 2well though.

We used to have a rope in the tunnel that went back quite a ways, but the rock it was tied to came loose and it all came out.  I've never been out there on a no-flow day to re-tie it. 

Ethan
03-09-2007, 02:56 PM,
Guess it didnt miss much by not going. Any chance you guys will be going agine. I finally got my regs back!
03-09-2007, 03:11 PM,
Carrie,
I'd go again, it is only a few minutes from my house.  I'm not sure we can talk Matt into it.  It is raining here right now, that won't make it any easier to get up and down that stupid hill.
03-09-2007, 03:15 PM,
Carrie,
I'd go again, it is only a few minutes from my house.  I'm not sure we can talk Matt into it.  It is raining here right now, that won't make it any easier to get up and down that stupid hill.
[/quote]
We'll see what next week brings. With the rain, and the snow on the hill melting, you may not be able to get up/down the hill with gear on. Next time we'll have Chris check it out BEFORE heading all the way out there.
03-09-2007, 03:24 PM,
We'll see what next week brings. With the rain, and the snow on the hill melting, you may not be able to get up/down the hill with gear on. Next time we'll have Chris check it out BEFORE heading all the way out there.
[/quote]

Seriously guys, how little effort are you willing to put into doing a dive?  Tongue I know it's not that great a dive, but it's still better than nothing!  I'd hate to see what you'd say if someone tried to take you to Luraville II or something that really required a hike!  Maybe we can do the Picnic Point Habitat-Hike this summer?

When the hill is frozen or muddy, walk over to the left by the beach where it's a little less steep.  Even if it's really slick and you keep falling, it's not like you have to crawl more than 20 feet or so.  I'll admit the slippery rocks and broken glass at the entry point are annoying, but it's not that bad.

Ethan
03-09-2007, 04:26 PM,
I don't know. I drove 160 miles round trip and had to put up with Madison traffic and all of the 1 way streets. That seems like more than enough effort to me  ;D. The barbecue place was good though Wink. I dive to relax and take my mind off of "real life". Sometimes the effort, frustration, and the cost isn't worth the quality of the dive. I may check out that Picnic Point Habitat hike with you if they allow motorcycles ;D. Maybe I'll take my spear next time and see if I can catch some of those carp.
03-09-2007, 04:45 PM,
Did somebody say "spear" ? Wink

Matt, you guys should really try and dive Government pier when the wind is down. Vis is well over 60' in the winter and there's all kinds of crap to fin on the bottom- not to mention the fish. Weaving your way through McKinley marina is also an easy way to blow some bubbles and find stuff- just be careful for the dead cats with rocks tied around their necks that I would come across sometimes.

For about a two year period there were a group of us who would meet up on Sunday mornings in the winter to dive one of the marinas- and go to the Chancery for all you can eat chicken afterwords.

On days when the harbor was frozen over we would drag our gear out on sleds to south gap and tie an anchor line onto the light house to dive the outer wall. It was a, fairly, easy way to hit 40' and look for lost fishing gear in the super clear water that Lake Michigan brings in winter. I would still prefer to dive off the Lender in winter, but these were still fun dives with very little walking.

Jon
03-09-2007, 04:52 PM,
It just made me realize how out of shape I was while walking up that hill with way too much gear on for the dive.  My investment to get there is much less than Matt's is, and I agree that it is better than not diving.  It would have been much more enjoyable with a dry hand.  It doesn't take long in 35ish degree water to get a cold hand with a glove full of water. 

[/quote]

Seriously guys, how little effort are you willing to put into doing a dive?  Tongue I know it's not that great a dive, but it's still better than nothing!  I'd hate to see what you'd say if someone tried to take you to Luraville II or something that really required a hike!  Maybe we can do the Picnic Point Habitat-Hike this summer?

When the hill is frozen or muddy, walk over to the left by the beach where it's a little less steep.  Even if it's really slick and you keep falling, it's not like you have to crawl more than 20 feet or so.  I'll admit the slippery rocks and broken glass at the entry point are annoying, but it's not that bad.

Ethan
03-10-2007, 10:15 AM,
I'm planning on going to the outlet sunday around 11ish.  I doubt the pumps will be on, but when the weather is this nice, it's hard to stay out of the water ;D.  Want to enjoy the nice viz before the ice melts. 

Where's government pier?  I wouldn't mind checking that out next weekend or the marinas.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
03-10-2007, 05:00 PM,
We had a group of four freedivers out there today. The water is not on and the temps are in the mid 30's but we were so warm in our suits that we spent a little over 2 hours in the water.

We dove around the inlet- which is now free from ice cover. We also went out towards the wooden barrier where we shot some carp. In the end I found three anchors and another guy found a boat prop.

Vis was good but the entrance to the outlet itself was pretty murky from the melting ice runoff.

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   rob inlet1.jpg_thumb (Size: 36.98 KB / Downloads: 0)