Remember me
Lost Password Register

Anywhere thawed out yet?
03-01-2007, 10:31 AM,
Re: Anywhere thawed out yet?
Never been in open water out that way. But, I'm curious.
Technical Diver
03-03-2007, 04:11 PM,
The outlet is wide open and the water is, finally, on. Temps inside the pipe are 54F right now and then it drops to around 36F when you hit the edgeof the ice. lots of big carp and a few nice sized musky.

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   musky1.jpg_thumb (Size: 29.53 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   open outlet1.jpg_thumb (Size: 28.69 KB / Downloads: 0)
03-03-2007, 06:52 PM,
How do we find this magical place? Wink Todd and I were thinking about coming out some time in the next week or 2.
03-03-2007, 07:26 PM,
BB Clark beach in Madison on Lake Monona. 

MG+E has a hot water return pipe that goes out through there and melts the ice so you can dive without a chainsaw. There's also a decent sized water intake to dive on, not nearly as big as the ones off of Milwaukee but still kind of neat. It was covered by surface ice today so I didn't dive on it this time.

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   jon2.jpg_thumb (Size: 28.14 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   intake base.jpg_thumb (Size: 27.79 KB / Downloads: 0)
03-03-2007, 11:21 PM,
Thanks Jon.
03-03-2007, 11:55 PM,

I'm not sure the Democrats and hippies will allow you in the Peoples Republic of Madison.  It might have to be a sneak dive.
03-04-2007, 08:54 PM,

Jon -

Where's the intake you showed in that photo?  I've seen what I thought was the intake on shore (tunnel underneath the pier at the club a few blocks SW of the outlet), but never a structure like the one you showed. 

Ethan
03-05-2007, 07:35 AM,
To the South East of the outlet pipe. It sits in about 23' of water and comes up to within 10' of the surface. If you enter the water as close to the edge of the park as you can you'll see one large tree standing alone on the shore. If you swim straight out from that you should hit the drop off, more of a slope,  and then start looking for it.

Jon

Attached Files
.jpg   intake cage.jpg (Size: 204.35 KB / Downloads: 145)
.jpg_thumb   intake cage.jpg_thumb (Size: 22.46 KB / Downloads: 0)
03-07-2007, 09:00 PM,
I dove the outlet 2/21 when it was 45 degrees out.  I've been finding that the pumps aren't on when it's warm enough to dive.  From past years experience, the viz is great (25') as long as there is ice on the lake.  As soon as the ice melts the viz goes to hell.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
03-08-2007, 08:08 AM,

I'm not sure the Democrats and hippies will allow you in the Peoples Republic of Madison.   It might have to be a sneak dive.
[/quote]
The City of Madison has granted me a special 3 hr political pardon pass to dive. However, they would not grant me a permit for any political "monkery"."Trey" Heiden and I will be there tonight around 4:45 if anyone wants to dive.