Remember me
Lost Password Register

Winnebago Wreck?
03-25-2007, 07:38 AM,
Winnebago Wreck?
Back in the late seventies or early eighties a large yacht was stolen in Neenah.  It just disappeared.  No one saw it pass thru the locks.  It was at least 60' long and just vanished.  My guess is that she might have been scuttled out in Winnebago.  With the new sidescan fishing sonars she might be found.  Any fishermen hitting snags in deep water?
DEW >&ltWink)>
03-25-2007, 08:44 AM,
Re: Winnebago Wreck?
Deep water?  Winnebago is 23ft deep...
03-25-2007, 01:40 PM,
From my memory of that boat, if she was sunk in the mud 3' she could still have 10' of water over her.  At the time, Winnebago only had 1 1/2' viz on a good day, and it is a big lake.  Might be worth a search.  She's probably heavily musseled up.
DEW >&ltWink)>
03-26-2007, 04:01 AM,
There is one "deep" hole at 21 FFW. Some of the flats run at 17 FFW. The rest is shallower. It is hard for me to believe someone would steal a 60' yacht then scuttle it. Would they have taken the life boat to shore? No witnesses? and no-one has ever spilled any beans about this? Well, if someone does find it, I would love to have the numbers!
03-26-2007, 05:45 AM,
My thinking was that she might have been sunk for the insurance.  The size of that boat would have been hard to miss going thru the locks.  But she just dissappeared without a trace.  She was used during WW II for training Navy crews, so she's a little more than just a party barge.  I wish I had a pic.
DEW >&ltWink)>