Remember me
Lost Password Register

Deco planning?
02-22-2007, 06:55 PM,
Deco planning?
Not much going on here lately, so I thought I'd start a thread on deco planning. How are you guys/girls planning your deco? The group I dive with use timers and tables exclusively (some using the GAP software, most using GUE D-plan or Deco Planner). For me, this means that I'm planning on a square profile, and though I'm probably not really diving an exact square profile, I get the benefit of a deco plan that will be a little more conservative (which may mean more time in the water) than needed, but gets me out cleaner than a computer might. What is everyone else doing?
02-22-2007, 07:47 PM,
Re: Deco planning?
Hi Matt

You picked a very good topic ! and one that many people can fall on both sides of these days.

I have one question for you, do you use Timers & Tables because you feel it is the best and safest way to dive or are the tech computers to costly ?? maybe both, just curious.

The folowing is for mix gas diving.

I myself cut tables & use bottom timers. This is the way i was taught and at the time there were no tri-mix computers available. I also now carry a complete set of tables for the mix & depth that i am diving so i can change as needed. If you cut a table for 18 min and only stay 16 why would anyone stay longer then needed. We dive for what's on the bottom, not the deco.

Now ask me what i would prefer, ok If i had my choice i would buy two VR 3 computers and never cut another table. ( still carry backup ) One of the bigest reasons for this is the depth of some of the dives, most of the bottom timers will not work below 330 ffw. They simply stop running after you pass this point and then when you once again reach this depth they decide to start working again. I have two OMS bottom timers, like the uwatec ones but these go to 500 ffw. This is something they don't tell you when you buy one. Last year on the Aurania in Whitefish it was real interesting to see what timers crapped out at 440 ffw.

I have good friends / customers that use nothing but VR 3 for there deep dives like the Bradley & Aurania stuff as well as the 100 ft dives. These guys are among the best and if it works for them it probably is ok for me too.

The argument you hear about tables & Timers being safer is for the most part not true anymore providing one has back up. A computer can actually be better if your dive goes to hell.

You can't say never dive a computer and then look at all the CCR divers that use a computer to make there entire dive. This is having it both ways and its crap. I guarantee you these same guys would have a VR 3 on each wrist if money was growing on trees.

Ok, now everyone can tell me how wrong i am. but hey, i think i am making my share of the coolest dives and i am still here..

Capt Bill

02-23-2007, 04:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-23-2007, 05:39 PM by matt t..)
I use tables and timers because I was taught that way (1 of the reasons I chose my instructor was because I agreed with his teaching philosophy), and feel that it is the simplest way to do it. I don't have the extra $2600 to $3600 to buy 2 VR-3's, and wouldn't if I did (I want a scooter Smile). As to your example of staying on the bottom for less time than originally planned....I drove to get to the boat, I payed for the fills, and I payed for the charter. Barring any emergency, I'll stay down for as long as we planned. There's always something to look at down there. Obviously we always have tables printed or written out for longer or shorter dives (in 5 minute increments) if needed.
I wouldn't argue that a computer is less safe than tables/timer, and could probably help guide you if things gets really bad, but that's what buddies are for. I just don't see the need to spend the $, and I do fear that some divers let the computer think for them most of the time. If you're doing multi-level diving (caves maybe) I can almost see a use for a computer, but for our wreck diving, mostly 1 depth, I believe it's unnecesary. Flame away Wink.
02-23-2007, 08:28 PM,
I use tables/timer primarily for the "big picture".  I guess that I don't really feel that timer/table is safer but it sure does promote solid dive planning with solid contingency planning.  You can use a computer/redundant computer,  but if you don't have a solid amount of experience planning your dives, it becomes too easy to be complacent and rely on the computer to do the thinking for you. 

I also like the ability to tweak a pretty wide variety of factors within the software generating the tables.  I'm not aware of a computer that can tweak the same amount of variables and still cost under $200.  Not that I'm against computers either but unless I'm doing a shitload of multilevel deco diving it is not really worth the expense for me.

For rec dives, I just take my "expensive" bottom timer and take it out of gauge mode. ;D

02-24-2007, 07:46 AM,
I have had so many comupters totally fail on me in the past, and always with at least 45 minutes of deco racked up for some reason, that i finally stopped using my tables as back-ups and just went with them from the start. IF you cut them right you can go short, or long, while on the fly and still get out of the water safely.

Bill,

IF your bottom timers are failing at depth you should look into the F-1 made by Liquidvision. It's tough as nails and I know the freediver who invented it- he also invented fluid goggles. I understand that some of the Uber-deep guys are using them on their 200+ meter dives. It has a very interesting display screen that gets brighter as everything else gets darker.

Jon
02-24-2007, 10:37 AM,
I guess I am old school but I only use a timer and tables.  I have been diving since 1973 and never had a problem with my bottom time or safety.  I feel computers are for reference only. 

Hinzer
Bob