Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diversions Scuba Ice Diving Event
02-24-2007, 07:09 PM,
Re: Diversions Scuba Ice Diving Event
cool little story on  channel 27 at 6pm.  Looked cold.
02-24-2007, 11:13 PM,
It was a lot of fun and one heck of a workout with having to shovel out from the 5" plus of new snow the night before.  I was one of the first to go in, it was a real challenge to try and stand on the underside of the ice and had to give up on the idea.  Being in full gear isn't the same as when your in a pool horsing around. :o  I was already out of my wetsuit by the time the news crew came by. Sad Towards the end of the dive the wind was really picking up and made cleanup challenging.  Overall, the event went well with very few equipment problems and we all had a great time.  Can't wait to do it again.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
02-25-2007, 07:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-25-2007, 08:28 AM by Zibbie.)
Thanks to everyone for coming out!  We even had divers fly in from Florida for the experience.  In all 10 divers got in the water for the class and we had probably again as many spectators.  It was a successful turnout for a day that most Madisonians chose to stay home.  Just out of luck the Channel 27 News crew was driving around looking for a local dive club's ice dive (which I am guessing was canceled) and just happened to stumble across Diversions' Ice Diving Class. 

Here are some pics from the event.

Thank you again, Jim for the delicious chili supper afterwards; it really hit the spot!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   elizabethkaiser.jpg_thumb (Size: 31.49 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   undertheice3.jpg_thumb (Size: 21.29 KB / Downloads: 0)
02-25-2007, 07:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-25-2007, 09:21 AM by Zibbie.)
Our instructor, Craig Carlson has been teaching the PADI Ice Diver Speciality for 10 years.

.jpg_thumb   iceclass.jpg_thumb (Size: 31.07 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   linetender.jpg_thumb (Size: 24.09 KB / Downloads: 0)
02-25-2007, 07:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-25-2007, 08:29 AM by Zibbie.)
Diversions' Adventure Dive Leader, Assistant Instructor Isaac Gomez rounded up several additional local ice divers for the event. Good to get out and practice!

.jpg_thumb   issacandbrian.jpg_thumb (Size: 35.82 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   undertheice2.jpg_thumb (Size: 22.61 KB / Downloads: 0)
02-25-2007, 07:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-25-2007, 08:00 AM by Zibbie.)
Viz in Lake Monona was surprisingly clear.  We avoided teaching in the lake all last season due to the poor conditions.

Attached Files
.jpg   jimandsteve.jpg (Size: 267.4 KB / Downloads: 230)
.jpg   undertheice1.jpg (Size: 158.93 KB / Downloads: 220)
.jpg_thumb   undertheice1.jpg_thumb (Size: 25.46 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   jimandsteve.jpg_thumb (Size: 33.71 KB / Downloads: 0)
02-25-2007, 07:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-25-2007, 05:16 PM by Zibbie.)
And one final thanks to Jim Evans for putting on a fantastic chili supper after the dive!  One thing that we have learned over the years is that it isn't always just about the diving, it's also about camaraderie and great food!

.jpg_thumb   jim_evansicedive.jpg_thumb (Size: 30.15 KB / Downloads: 0)
02-25-2007, 08:37 AM,
Sounds like everyone had a great time. Next time try a smaller snow blower to clear the area and make your directional "exit" lines. They're easy enough to haul around, and cut way down on the shoveling.
02-25-2007, 08:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-25-2007, 05:18 PM by Zibbie.)
Thanks for the advice- we really didn't have it that bad.   

The only shovelling that we really had to do was that that had drifted and accumulated in the snow fence that was marking the hole over night.  It was really wet from the open water- almost boggy.  You would have to take a scoop and let it drain before tossing it off to the side. 

Most of the snow in the general area outside of the hole had been blown down the lake- we hardly had enough to make the directional lines and the ones that we did shovel eventually blew away as the day went on.  The wind was definitely not favorable to the site- it was blowing 25-30 mph right down the shoreline! 
02-25-2007, 12:48 PM,
Congratulations on a great dive.  I loved the photos!  I just wish I could've been there to dive with you.  Sorry I missed it!

Ethan