Remember me
Lost Password Register

OK, How about Dry Suits?
01-29-2007, 03:41 PM,
Re: OK, How about Dry Suits?
The DUI CF 200 is "crushed" neoprene and is a "shell" suit which will require a thicker undergarment like any other shell suit. The Poseidon "Uni Suit" (described above, with the crazy long zipper) is a full, "thick" 7 mm suit, that has been around forever (though I've never seen one in use locally) and doesn't require a thick under garment. The DUI CF200 and the Posidon are NOT the same. I would stay away from the Poseidon suit (as well as any other thick neoprene dry suit). Let us know what you end up buying. Wink
02-15-2007, 10:05 PM,
For an entry level suit take a look at the Northern Diver suits. I think they have a Tri Lam at $750. 
It is a very nice suit.
02-22-2007, 12:43 PM,
OK, so I bought it....... I went with a neoprene made by Atlan. It has neo seals instead of the latex. Thank you to all who have assisted me with their advice and knowledge. I think I got a good price at 600.00 new, dry suit cert included in the price. A few of the selling points for me, and this is up to discusion......
1. Ease of repair of everything but the zipper.
2. You don't need to have undergarments with this. Long johns will work for most places around here.
3. Cost...... really the big one for me...... you can buy 2 of these for the cost of one trilam.

If anyone has any input on this please step up and let us all know what you think. This turned out to be a good thread with alot of really good information for the budding diver. Thank you to all.

James
02-22-2007, 04:01 PM,
Sounds great. After you clear the learning curve you'll love it. Get your wetsuit ready to sell ;D.
02-22-2007, 06:11 PM,
Hi James

I assume your choice was the 4 mil crushed, ( not the 7 mil )  If it is the 4 you will most likely end up getting Wiesel or some other type of undergarment. Even a neoprene suit that is 4 mil one can get cold in if diving the Great Lakes or even small inland lakes in the early season. The 7 mil works ok with just make shift undergarment's.

Your correct about the zipper in the neoprene suits, they need to be not only glued but blind stitched when replaced and this is best done by the factory. The neoprene seals work well but if you later decide to go with dry gloves like the viking system with rings you will need to switch to Latex seals on the wrists. This can be done locally by Dry Suits plus in Milwaukee. The neoprene seal if needed in a pinch can be repaired with a needle & thread and a little glue. This is why a lot of divers on the east coast still use them. Imagine yourself on the Doria for three days and you blow out a Latex seal, selling point for DUI zip seals here.

I myself used neoprene seals up to about 98 when i switched to all Latex and dry gloves and never looked back. Dry Gloves with hand warmers can't be beat. !

You will be happy with this suit for a long time.....

Good Luck

Capt Bill
02-22-2007, 06:17 PM,
Bill,
Which hand warmers do you use?  Do you use argon for an inflation gas?  If so, how does the argon affect the warmers abilities to stay warm?
Thanks,
02-22-2007, 06:33 PM,
Chris

I use the hand warmers that you get at Gander Mountain or any other sporting goods store. I prefer the ones with the self adhesive on them but they all work well. I place them inside my dry glove liner and this works good & no problem with to hot. Your hands don't really get hot, they just never get cold if you know what i mean.

For a cold dive in the spring on say the Vernon with a 18 - 20 minute bottom time this is a must at least for me. I also have seen people with the Giant warmer that you use on your back for really deep dives where the thermo is still very shallow like the T & L in early June.

I use them with Argon and / or air, either one. I see no difference with them when using argon but then again the US Navy See's no difference between Air & Argon either.. when it comes to thermal protection in diving. Smile Smile

Capt Bill
02-22-2007, 06:47 PM,
Chris

I think i forgot to answer one of your questions..

Yes i use argon some times on certain dives. I have dove the Bradley with both Argon and air in my argon bottle on separate days and for the most part notice no difference between each dive as far as warmth.

I fill, blend & boost all my own gas so the cost is not a factor for me, i just don't see much difference between them. Smile

Capt Bill
02-22-2007, 07:47 PM,
Thanks Bill.
I don't think I see a noticeable difference with argon over air either, but I tend to use Argon.  I will have to give the handwarmers a try.  I tried some of the chemical style, reusable heaters, but they were just too bulky to get into my gloves.  I was initially concerned about overheating of the disposable style warmers while using an inflation gas with a higher O2% than air.  However, now I always use a separate inflation system for my suit so that isn't really a factor.  I recently used some of the "toe warmers" above water, and they were very thin and had an adhesive backing that would probably work well in the tight confines of my dry gloves.
06-05-2007, 10:03 PM,
Well how is that suit working out for you?  Where'd you get it?  We're taking the dry suit certification course at the end of the month, unfortunately our local dive shop of usual choice didn't offer to include it in the price of suits (they rent/sell Bare), but we also did ask about doing it BEFORE spending all the money on suits, so maybe thats our own fault. heh  We're also looking at over $1000 for suit, under garments, dry hoods etc.  I almost fell out of my chair when I saw this post of yours!

The only good diver is a wet diver.