Remember me
Lost Password Register

Hello
02-12-2007, 06:54 PM,
Re: Hello
So who did you decide on for an instructor, and why? I'm interested in cave diving, but haven't taken the first step toward looking for an instructor.
02-12-2007, 09:02 PM,

Well that would be ideal; however, I am 17, and a 17 year old divemaster can't afford to spend 5 days in Florida.  That just isn't going to happen, so my cave diving is going to have to be done close, unless someone wants to fly me out there  ;D
Daring to explore is great, daring not too...is unacceptable
02-12-2007, 10:12 PM,
My first cave instructor was pretty random.  I called down to Ginnie Springs and signed up for the class.  I found out afterwards that I was lucky enough to get a really respected instructor and he taught me a lot.  It was an eye opening experience.  Was a little more knowledgeable on my next instructor choice Smile
02-13-2007, 08:25 AM,

Well that would be ideal; however, I am 17, and a 17 year old divemaster can't afford to spend 5 days in Florida.  That just isn't going to happen, so my cave diving is going to have to be done close, unless someone wants to fly me out there  ;D
[/quote]

Heheh, Ginnie is only 17 or so hours away... It makes a great road trip. Furthermore, lodging is pretty cheap. Your biggest expense either way is probably gonna be gas (breathing).
Technical Diver
02-13-2007, 05:51 PM,
My trip in January. All numbers from memory and rounding.

Round trip Airfare for two. $400
Rental Mini-van 8 days. $330
8 nights in the best motel in town - $320  Wink
Ginnie fees, air, replacement hose... $200 (for 2)
Nitrox for me $70
Gas for the van. $90
Meals $$$
Instructor $$$
Manatee snorkel with the wife - $60 (very cool)
Cristal River w/wife - $60 (fun fun fun)

Cave Diving  - Priceless or at least $1500. Worth every $.

02-13-2007, 09:53 PM,
Now that could start a thread of it's own. Mine runs pretty much the same, except closing out a $1600 tab at Cave Excursions on the last day, mwahahahahhahah (but at least I got my 21W Salvo)
Technical Diver