Remember me
Lost Password Register

Suunto SK5
03-21-2007, 05:26 PM,
Suunto SK5
Does anyone have any good photos of how they rigged bungee/ surgical tubing cords to their Suunto SK5 wrist mount Compass?
03-21-2007, 08:19 PM,
Re: Suunto SK5
No photos, but just take out the provided rubber strap, and run 2 bungees through the space for the strap.

Easiest way to do it is to take one piece of bungee, twice as long as you need for the straps.  Tie a string in the center and feed the string through the compass.  Then pull the bungee through w/ the string...cut the bungee and tie the two straps.
03-21-2007, 09:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-21-2007, 09:25 PM by Chris H.)

Jason, that is what I would have said too, but I/we have an SK7.  The SK5 is a flat little boy scout looking compass...

divemichigan, you could cut the straps off a few cm from the bezel and then melt it so it doesn't fray.  You could then use your friend's soldering iron (because you would wreck yours) to burn a couple holes in the band on each side.  You could then run the bungee through the holes and knot it so it doesn't come out.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   sk5_medium_10321.jpg_thumb (Size: 37.07 KB / Downloads: 0)
03-21-2007, 09:44 PM,
Omicorn thanks for the information.

The bezel easily unscrews, I've already removed the factory strap. But I thought over the years I know I've seen some guys using the SK5 before. I like the fact that it is a lower profile over the SK7. I don't like stuff sticking up too much off my forearm. I thought in the past they either drilled holes into the bezel , used the holes around the compass, or did what you described. I was looking for photo for ideas.... I'll keep my eye open this year on the charters.
03-22-2007, 05:41 AM,
Doh...I misunderstood the compass models.  Nevermind!
03-22-2007, 11:18 AM,
I just bit the bullet and picked up a strap at Deep Sea Supply when I ordered one for my bottom timer.
Technical Diver