Remember me
Lost Password Register

Ice or cold water reg preperation
12-28-2006, 08:37 PM,
Ice or cold water reg preperation
When ice or cold water diving, is it better to let your regs get cold prior to your dive, (leave in garage or back of Vehicle).? Are you better off keeping them warm as long as you prior to water entry? Does it even matter? I have not heard of any preferable method.
12-28-2006, 08:47 PM,
Re: Ice or cold water reg preperation
I've done it both ways and never noticed a difference. You need to make sure you have a reg that is manufactured and tuned for cold water. IP should be in the suggested range, and make sure any adjustablable 2nd stages are de-tuned at the surface. A big thermos or jug of hot water is nice to have a long in case of a freeze up.
12-28-2006, 11:14 PM,
I have done both and I do not believe that it matters.  The frozen regulators below are made for cold water and even with a half inch of ice on it, it is ready to go for another dive.

If you are not confident that your regulator can work under these conditions, do not dive the rivers when they are 32-33 deg F.  Be careful with the second stage, some tend to freeflow easily under cold conditions.  Especially if you breath them before submerging.

Doug

Attached Files
.jpg   Iced up X-Stream - 2 - e-mail.jpg (Size: 83.03 KB / Downloads: 199)
.jpg   Iced up X-Stream - 3 - e-mail.jpg (Size: 93.41 KB / Downloads: 204)
.jpg_thumb   Iced up X-Stream - 2 - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 39.51 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Iced up X-Stream - 3 - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 40.27 KB / Downloads: 0)
12-30-2006, 12:20 AM,
I was in 33 degree water last weekend and had my reg freeflow after 15min.  I surfaced and shut my air off for a couple minutes and retried.  Once it was working again I went back down.  This time instead of touring around the lake, I took it real slow around the weedbeds watching the fish and breathing real slow, I didn't have anymore problems.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
12-30-2006, 01:53 AM,
What brand of regulator were you using?  You do not have to answer if you do not want too.  This question may set off a storm of who's regulator is best.

Doug
12-31-2006, 12:28 PM,
Never had problems with a grease filled Mk 10/G250.  Anyone else?
DEW >&ltWink)>
01-07-2007, 06:11 PM,
I have a Titan by Aqualung.  Don't know the model, bought it used, rental gear.  It has served me well so far, had it for a couple years now.  Been out three other times in 33 deg water with no other problems sinse I know to watch my breathing.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
01-07-2007, 07:22 PM,
I also have an Aqualung Titan (LX).  I've been under the ice, deep in Lakes Superior, Superior and Wazee and last week in 33 degree water in Devil's Lake.  Never a free flow.
01-07-2007, 09:03 PM,
Gotta give my props to Apeks.  Went from a Aqualung Cousteau Glacia, never froze but freeflowed to an Apeks XTX100.  I love it.  Been in the 34 degree water a lot this year and breathes great!!  Get yourself an Apeks.