Remember me
Lost Password Register

Sheboygan quarry?
12-26-2006, 07:13 PM,
Sheboygan quarry?
Anybody have any info on Sheboygan quarry (across from Evergreen park)?
Been hearing about it for a while and may try it out. Any info from a local is appreciated. Thanks!
12-26-2006, 09:37 PM,
Re: Sheboygan quarry?
Matt,
Silent World Dive center is the only shop left in Shevegas as far as I know.  I saw on their website they do some diving at the quarry including an annual clean-up dive.  They may be the best be to get any info on access and whatnot.  I'll check it out with you sometime.  I was in the quarry one time many years ago for the underwater pumpkin carving contest.  I didn't really see any of it that time around.
12-27-2006, 06:28 PM,
I was talking to my grandpa about it on Christmas. He swam there a lot in his younger days. He claims that there is still equipment that had to be left behind because of the quickly rising water levels. We've heard that before though.....
12-27-2006, 09:43 PM,
Did my OW there in a July, viz was 3-6 inches terrible.  Did the Pumpkin dive for 2 years and viz was 10-15 ft in October.  Viz has to be better in December.  There is supposedly equipment yet, old Railroad tracks, etc.  Spring fed.  Haven't had great viz, but may be worth trying just for something new. 

There is a locked gate to get through.  Can bypass that if you go through another entry.  The city uses the quarry as a waterfront area during the summer thats why it is locked up.

12-27-2006, 09:47 PM,
Any idea about getting official permission through the parks department? What do you know about max depth? I heard 80-85 ft.
12-27-2006, 09:57 PM,
More like 45 ft.  DNR map says 45 also.  Could try the city to see who hs rights to the park.  Rec dept?  Silent World does have a key, but I doubt if they'd hand it out. 
12-28-2006, 08:12 AM,
No public diving,
Its Silent Worlds dive center site, as to insurance not open to public dives.
any way with 6" vis with the slide water pumps on that even drops to nil!
its a training site and thats it!
LakeMichigan would be your best bet, not now ,,but off Sheboygan south of the beach area I hear there are some underwater cuts or small caves that on a calm day are to be a neat shore dive?

The waters is 76 off the SE Florida coast in the Atlantic this A.M. vis 50'+ vis time to get back south for my Newyears Eve dive!
I love Wisconsin but 
Dive Safe
Brad
12-28-2006, 08:30 AM,
Thanks for the info.