Remember me
Lost Password Register

hand warmer
12-29-2006, 06:31 PM,
hand warmer
Does anyone use the chemical hand or toe warmers under your drysuit?
I was wondering if there is enough air left in the suit or gloves to keep them working.
The only parts cold on my last dive (33 degress) were my fingers and toes.  Thought I'd try them next dive.  Anyone have luck with them?
12-29-2006, 08:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-02-2007, 11:04 AM by matt t..)
Re: hand warmer
I haven't used the hand warmers, but I have used the "belt" type lower back warmers a few times when ice diving. They worked pretty well. Be careful, because I have heard of divers getting chemical burns when using them on bare skin.
12-29-2006, 11:28 PM,
I've heard of divers using Nitrox getting burned with these things.  Appearently they use oxygen as a catalyst.  The more oxygen the hotter they get.  Food for thought anyway.

Jim
01-02-2007, 10:58 AM,
I've not had luck w/ the normal charcoal ones...they die out fast.

I was going to order myself some of these style handwarmers:

They are reusable and require no fuel source, so you could even stick 'em in your wetsuit.
01-02-2007, 11:02 AM,
I thought maybe they'd run out of air fast.  Thanks.
01-02-2007, 11:30 AM,

I tried some of that style and found them too bulky to get into my gloves.  They don't last very long, and they turn into little solid bags when they are spent.  Not the most comfortable thing to have in a glove, boot, or any other place you want warm.  They are neat to mess with though.
01-02-2007, 12:49 PM,
Shoot...that's what I was afraid of.
01-02-2007, 01:13 PM,
I think I'll give this a try:  The toe warmers have a sticky side.  I'll put one in each toe; they shouldn't get too uncomfortable.  I'll still another one on the back of each hand.  Hopefully, they'll warm the blood coming into the hand and keep the fingers from freezing up.  They shouldn't get in the way on the back of the hand.  I'll let you know how they do.

Mike