Remember me
Lost Password Register

Full face masks for cold water diving
12-22-2006, 11:53 AM,
Full face masks for cold water diving
Anyone have experience with differnt type full face masks?  Looking at a silicon face mask that you use your regular regulator or an all in one face mask.  Any comments on equilizing would help to.  Thanks.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
12-22-2006, 02:48 PM,
Re: Full face masks for cold water diving
I've seen both types used with mixed results, mostly bad. There are a few on display or for sale at local shops here in Milw.
12-22-2006, 06:00 PM,
Do you want one of these to keep your face warm?    I've never used one, but it seems a bit unnecessary.  What kind of exposures are you planning on?  I've been shivering cold on several dives and I don't ever remember thinking "Geez, if my face were warmer I could easily do another 30 minutes".
12-22-2006, 06:28 PM,
I plan to do my first ice dive this January.  The coldest water I've been in was 38 degrees.  My friend just got two masks with com units.  We plan to try them in a pool soon, but my friend gets cold very easily even in a dry suit and thinks I'm nuts for wanting to ice dive.  I hope to borrow a mask for the ice dive, but would like to get my own.  I have yet to try a drysuit myself, to me, drysuits isn't diving unless you're wet.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
12-22-2006, 06:36 PM,

Put the money you are willing to waste on a full face mask into a drysuit.  Ice diving in a wet suit is something I have done, but wouldn't do it now if I had the choice...You could get a leaky drysuit(for even less money Wink) or forget to attach the pee valve if you prefer to be wet while diving.
12-22-2006, 07:01 PM,
I have used full-face masks with communication units.  They are nice, can be tricky, but do the job.

But when it comes to ice diving, Chris is right, get a dry suit.  The full-face just does not add enough to make it worth it.  Even when it is cold enough to make anchor ice or you are swimming through a margarita mix, it is not your face that gets cold.

If you need that wet feeling, do not invest in a p-valve.

Doug
12-22-2006, 08:36 PM,
Didn't know there was such a thing in a dry suit.  My friend ussually barely makes it to shore to relieve himself.  I will have to check more into this, that was one my concerns about drysuits (maybe my friend needs to look more into this to  :o).
Life's Short, Dive Hard
12-22-2006, 11:29 PM,
Full Face Masks' (FFM) rock!.

If you don't have a drysuit, get that first.  If you have a dry suit and don't have a pee valve, get that second.  Then by all means get a FFM.  I ice dive all winter every chance I get.  The FFM has made a huge difference.  I dive dry with a dry hood, dry gloves and Aga FFM right now.  Since I don't get wet, I stay pretty warm.

I have tried the cheap black mask you stick the reg into-don't waste your money.  It doesn't do anything for you.  Just hard to use.  I have tried the Ocean Reef mask.  Wow, was that a pain in the butt.  Very comfortable but very hard to adjust correctly and either came close to free flow or I had to work too hard to breath dependent on my position in the water (head up/head down).  I have tried the ScubaPro silicone mask you put your reg into.  It worked OK, but was pretty big and cumbersome.  The EXO was by far the most comfortable mask I have used, but it is HUGE.  I got kind of a work out keeping head down while swimming.  Easy to adjust, easy to wear and clear, all in all nice mask.  We don't have service for it around me or I may have considered it.  Really too big though.

I settled on the Interspiro Divator/AGA and love it.  I now have two.  Small, easy to operate, keeps you warm and dirty water out of your face.  Pretty easy to clear and putting the comm gear in/out is straightforward and easy.  Of all the mask I tried, I found it easy to maintain/clean.  I have a rubber one and a silicone one.  I like the silicone one better for comfort and it's cool looks (all black).  This season I added the ambient breathing valves to my masks.  They let you put the FFM on and breath ambient air until you get in the water.  Saves on air and I don't have to take the mask off while waiting for my buddies or swimming on the surface.  I would rate this as a "must have" feature.  One under rated feature is the AGA directs the incoming air from your tank across your face shield before you breath it in.  The dry tank air blowing over the lens really cuts down on the mask fogging up.

Some Cons:  FFM cost a bunch, but you get what you pay for.  The ScubaPro is 1/2 of the AGA price and the plane jane black silicone you stick your reg into is 1/2 the cost of a ScubaPro.   Since it is speciality equipment unless you have a service tech that is qualified in that brand in your area, the service cost at least twice what a normal reg would cost.  I have also found that I use about 10% to 20% more air with a FFM.  Mine are both positive pressure so that may contribute to the greater air use.

PROS: You will be warmer with a FFM.  Add a dry hood to your dry suit with the FFM and you will be even warmer...  I can  dive more dives a day and stay under longer (got 120's) because I am more comfortable.  I have less jaw fatigue too.  I don't worry about what microorganisms are floating around in the water as much anymore either...

If you decide to get a FFM, be sure to get training from someone that has lots of time using a FFM.  Some dive procedures change with a FFM and there are many tricks to getting the most out of the mask that are really helpful.   An ERDI, Lifeguard Systems or other Public Safety Diving instructor should be able to help you out. 

Good luck,

Chris
12-23-2006, 05:13 AM,
Good discussion on Full-mask units.  I haave tried several and the ADA is a great mask.  I would agree that the ambeint air port is a required feature.

Ear clearing is done by pressing your nose agains 2 pins whit then squeeze close te nostral and then blow.  Takes some adjustment but is realatively easy to master.

Hope this discussion helps you out.

Doug
12-23-2006, 06:24 AM,
Thanks a bunch for the info, was very helpful.  Looks like I need to save more than just pennys to get the new gear Smile.
Life's Short, Dive Hard