Remember me
Lost Password Register

Steam Pump aboard the wreck of the Mahoning
12-21-2006, 10:57 PM,
Steam Pump aboard the wreck of the Mahoning
Hello;

My name is James Hefner; and I live south of Forth Worth, Texas.  For over ten years, I have been researching steam engines of all kinds, including steam pumps, as part of my Surviving World Steam Project website:

In the past, I have contacted Whitney Gould of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentenail  in regards to trying to save the steam powered compressor house at the former Solvay Coke Plant in Milwaukee, WI. I also spoke with the film crew who filmed an episode there for the "Urban Explorer - Milwaukee" episode:

I am writing today in regards to the steam pump found on the wreck of the Mahoning; it is of extreme interest to me.  Henry Worthington invented the first direct acting steam pump in 1842; steam pumps aboard ships did not come in wide use until the 1850s.  Steam pumps were rare aboard vessels through the 1860s; although I think they were all of Worthington design.

I would like to learn more about the steam pump found on the wreck site;  I would also like to see more pictures of it.  I am presently working with Conservation Department of the Mariners Museum in Newport News, Virginia to learn details about the Worthington steam pumps that were recovered from wreck of the Union warship U.S.S. Monitor by the museum:

The U.S.S Monitor was built in 1861, and sank in a storm in 1862.  That would put her steam pumps at about the same vintage as the one aboard the Mahong, and the one aboard the Mahong appears to have less marine growth on it.  Examining both pumps at the same time may help in documenting both finds.

If anyone can help with more details, photographs, or drawings of the steam pump on the wreck of Mahoning, I would appreciate it very much.  Thank you in advance.  You can see pictures of the steam pump found on the U.S.S. Monitor by joining my Steam Lizards Group on Yahoo at:

Then going to the Photo section of the group's website.

-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a

12-23-2006, 05:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-25-2006, 10:24 AM by moneysavr.)
Re: Steam Pump aboard the wreck of the Mahoning
Hi
I just seen your post I am Brad  the diver that made the find public and a diver that has dove the site a few times,the pump is not on site as it fell of prior to her sinking and lies a hundred or so feet south of her and is in good shape, a anchor chain leads to the site as it seems to at one time wraped arond the base to keep it from rolling on deck, one of the neat points is this pump stands about 4 1/2 ' tall, has wheels to move it so it was a pump to be moved,on deck a 16" realy 2 6' suction lines still run out of the deck were they were smashed or pushed into the hold and lay broke off above deck,still laying on the deck is the one steel plate that kept the cinders from starting a fire 4 feet circle,
In her fire box still lays several pieces of fire wood, the steam whistle seems to be cut off by prior looters/ discovers?
I have not brushed the fire box door off to get a name but I bet its been done by now, the fire door and clean out doors still open and close today! and as to looting the site after my making the site public,seems the divers that do diver her pile items not a good idea but items I have videoed and shot pics of all be it not much value but in the old days would be gone still ply the wreck site so good job to all the new class of divers and thanks!
Send me a e-mail and I can send you photos, Tons of video,of the pump.

But the best pump on a Great Lakes Lake Michigan wreck is on the W.B.Allen in 165'FSW of water off Cleaveland,Wisconsin as this pump lays fully rigged and if you added fire wood looks like it would start to pump again! a much smaller pump than the one not salvaged from the mahonning  1/3 scale but for sure a fine steam pump and I have several photos taken by my dear pal and dive bud Swimjim on this site as he may post???? As I am on the way home as I type from warm Florida to the depths of winter in Wisconsin at this time well rain!
brad_i@hotmail.com
Brad Ingersoll
12-23-2006, 07:08 AM,
Here in the Great Lakes we keep an extensive collection of steam engines preserved in cold water.  Many of these wrecks are protected by law and now days most divers refrain from taking items off of the wrecks.

You need to dive to see these units but you can get up close with these units like you can not do on an above water display.  Come on up and visit some time.

Doug

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Jason Baker - 4 - Enhanced - e-Mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 27.22 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Tina - 5 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 35.87 KB / Downloads: 0)
12-23-2006, 07:17 AM,
Some other examples.

Doug

.jpg   Chain - 12 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg (Size: 92.72 KB / Downloads: 147)
.jpg_thumb   Eber Ward Wreck Diver - 6 - Enhanced - E-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 34.11 KB / Downloads: 0)
12-23-2006, 07:27 AM,
A couple more.

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Panther Wreck Steam Engine - 11 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 37.49 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Eber Ward Wreck Steam Engine - 23 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 42.61 KB / Downloads: 0)
12-23-2006, 07:44 AM,
I have been to the mahoning several times.  The viz is consistently poor on it.  The attached photo is of a diver who has his hand on the rear wheel of the portable boiler.  The actual pump lays next to it and looks like some sort of a turbine affair.  It stands about three feet high and about three feet long.  Regrettably I don't have a decent picture of it.  If I run across one I will post it.

Jim

.jpg_thumb   04290614.jpg_thumb (Size: 20.76 KB / Downloads: 0)
12-23-2006, 07:52 AM,
Now, the Walter B. Allen does have a heck of a pump on her deck.  If my foggy memory serves me correct, the Allen went down about 1880, so this pump is a bit newer.  She's also a tad deeper then the Mahoning.  The Allen sits in 167 fow, it's pump is at about 150.

Jim

.jpg   16jul058.jpg (Size: 130.11 KB / Downloads: 123)
.jpg_thumb   16jul051.jpg_thumb (Size: 30.01 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   16jul058.jpg_thumb (Size: 30.4 KB / Downloads: 0)
12-25-2006, 10:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-25-2006, 10:22 AM by moneysavr.)

a video with pump of Mahoning at end
brad
12-25-2006, 10:27 AM,
Thanks to Tamara Thomsen of WHS took many shots of the pump, this is one hope it helps as the pump is on the other side,
Brad

.jpg_thumb   Mahoning WHS Photos by Tamara Thomsen.jpg_thumb (Size: 23.84 KB / Downloads: 0)
12-26-2006, 02:41 PM,
All;

Thank you very much for all of the information and pictures.  You have helped me sort out what I am looking at; a portable steam boiler, lying on its side, with a centrifugal pump sitting next to it.  Tamara Thomsen's picture was the first one I saw; it looked like a locomotive type boiler to me; but everyone kept referring to the steam pump.  It all make sense now.

I assume the centrifugal pump was originally driven by a small vertical steam engine, that may have been salvaged; like this:

The Conservation Department of the Mariners Museum in Newport News, Virginia was asking just like week if anyone had any information about centrifugal pumps of this vintage, a centrifugal pump was raised along with the Worthington pumps from the U.S.S. Monitor.

Brad; my e-mail address is james@survivingworldsteam.com.  I am looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Doug; what wreck was the picture taken on?  I own five steam pumps; four of them look very similiar to this one:

None of mine come from wrecks; most are worn out pumps from an area petrochemical plant.

The centrifugal pump aboard the Walter B. Allen is a newer affair; it appears to be powered by a small steam turbine, instead of a vertical steam engine.  It would be fun to "chase pipes" to see how it was set up.

All of this is very interesting; I will be sharing a link to this thread with the Steam Lizards Group on Yahoo.  In the past, I have researched the steam pumps found on board the Titanic and her sister ships, and a steam pump found aboard the wreck of the steamer "Manuela", sunk in San Juan Harbor during the Spanish American War.

-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a