Remember me
Lost Password Register

october/november diving?
10-14-2003, 02:51 PM,
october/november diving?
So my wife/buddy and I just bought our main gear: BC/reg/gauges and we're itching to try them out. Any suggestions on where (preferably close to Madison)? I haven't had a chance to check the visibility on Mendota recently, but the algae should be clearing up. I've also heard people mention that Devil's Lake goes through a bit of a "change" where the water gets cloudy sometime in the fall. We'll be diving wet, so Lk Michigan really isn't on the table.
Suggestions?
10-14-2003, 03:01 PM,
Re:october/november diving?
Mendota is just starting to go through a clearing stage. It might be good by this weekend.

Devil's Lake isn't too bad, but the water level is down a good 4' becasue of the dry summer- I was just up there yesterday.

If your in the Madiosn area I would suggest going north on 39/51 to Waushura county. It is almost the same distance, time wise, as going to devils lake. There are some really nice lakes up there with good vis and lots of fish. I was in Pearl Lake last weekend and had 61 degree water. With my freedivng wetsuit I was able to stay very warm for a little over 5 hours. Big Grin

My buddy was up there yesterday scouting out some other lakes and had 25' of vis in Wood Lake. Almost any of them up there would be great for diving in this time of year.

The fall actually offers some of the best diving around here. The vis is starting to come back and the water is still somewhat warm from the summer months.

Jon
10-14-2003, 03:44 PM,
Lake Wazee is fairly close if you are willing to drive an hour or so.
--Jason
10-14-2003, 03:54 PM,
Devil's Lake
Hi Jon,
I had heard that the cleaning project with the big pipe in Devil's Lake had somehow helped to drop the level... Any truth to that? I was considering diving devil's lake, except that the weed beds that I had done my buoyancy training in are (like you said) at 4 feet instead of 10. A friend of mine mentioned the possibility of picnic point on Mendota, but we've gotta figure a way to easily haul our gear out there. You can feel free to add in a comment about how a freediver wouldn't have the gear-hauling problem Wink

Jason - yeah - could do Wazee, depending on how much driving we want to do... (we've done a lot of driving recently).
10-14-2003, 08:06 PM,
While it's true that it would be eaiser to get out to the end with freediving gear I would try something easier.

You could go around the lake a litte further to the west and enter by some of the apartment that line the west end. There are a couple of, almost hidden, parking lots that go right down to the lake. It will be much easier to carry your gear. Monona Terrace might also be an easier dive.

Devil's Lake is low due to the dry summer. They actually weren't able to run the pipe as much as they wanted to due to the low water conditions. The pipe didn't cause them.

I would hit one of the Waushura county lakes if you didn't want to drive all the way up to Wazze. They are about the same travel time as Devil's Lake, from Madison, and are much clearer right now.

You could also take a ride down to Pearl Lake, in Beloit, and pay whatever ridiculous price that they are charging right now. I would even make a run down there but the owner will NOT allow freediving in his lake- I've tried to talk to him but he won't listen. :Smile

Waubesa is starting to clear, but still not that great right now.

I hope that helps you out.

Jon
10-19-2003, 08:52 PM,
A good spot to check out reviews of diving sites is the CWSC website - - pretty much any lake in the area is getting to be better right now..algea is dying off and clarity is improving!!