Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lake Geneva
12-11-2006, 08:15 PM,
Lake Geneva
Anybody have info on diving Lake Geneva during Thanksgiving thru ice in?  I use to do shore dives back in the 1970's near the military academy (now gone).  Can off shore dive during this time of year still be made?  I am aware of many regulations but how about shore dives in Nov. Dec.?

Hinzer
Bob
12-11-2006, 08:42 PM,
Re: Lake Geneva
If I'm correct shore diving is prohibited now on Lake Geneva Sad
12-30-2006, 12:28 AM,
I was at a Milw. dive shop a few days ago.  They said from what they have heard that Lake Geneva is closed for scuba from Memorial Day to Labor day, but open the rest of the time.  Viz will be better now anyhow.  May want to check with shops closer to Geneva.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
01-03-2007, 07:02 PM,
Certain sections are closed during that time but not the whole lake.

You need a boat to dive out there, but there are some freedivers I know who shore dive this time of year without much trouble. The lake gets crazy busy in the summer time and a single dive flag will often not be enough to keep you safe. >Sad

There is a dive shop there called Fontana, but not related to Fontana in Madison, and they have a charter boat there as well for scuba diving- but not freediving since they never returned my call. I know that divers will chip in and rent a boat from one of the Marinas to dive off of.

It's a very nice lake to dive and there are some nice drop offs, a couple of wrecks, and a good amount of fish life to make diving interesting.

Jon
01-04-2007, 04:12 PM,
Love Park Scuba offers charters.I believe that Dan leaves out of Williams Bay.  They only go out on weekdays, weekends are absolutely crazy with boat traffic. 
02-05-2007, 07:05 PM,
I called Fontana and they said  you can shore dive if you want because no one patrols that time of year.  I asked what about shore police?  They were not sure.  Seems to me no boats, no patrol life is good. Smile
Bob
02-07-2007, 12:03 PM,
There are some pretty active freedivers I know who have been diving her up until last week. The vis had been great and they only had to break through a few feet of ice along the shore to dive.

Things are pretty quite this time of year, except for the birds and the fish. They have had the lake to themselves for the past month or so.

Jon