Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lake Superior/Ontonagon Mi. Question
09-14-2007, 06:21 PM,
Lake Superior/Ontonagon Mi. Question
My hubby is taking me up north to Ontonagon,Mi next week for a few days to celebrate my birthday.

We called a resort up there to make reservations and the owner said there was a shipwreck near the shore around there.
Does anyone know what it is?

I really want to go collecting sea glass to make some penants so doing a dive would be great too

gail
09-14-2007, 09:51 PM,
Re: Lake Superior/Ontonagon Mi. Question
I do not have first hand experience of this wreck..I have not been there..but i did find information on a Scow Schooner named the "Chaska" that went ashore there in 1870..it was 72ft long and is reported to be the first vessel ever to be built at Duluth...the only thing i could find is that its location is fairly well know and that it should be relatively easy to find....i found this off a list of all recorded vessel losses in the area...the other listed for Ontonagon are supposed to be in deeper water and were not reported to have gone ashore...

Good luck
Deano
09-15-2007, 07:35 AM,
The Panama

09-19-2007, 09:00 AM,
Thanks guys. I will let you know how it turns out.
They are calling for rain, I am praying to the rain gods to hold back ;D

gail
09-25-2007, 08:03 AM,
Went up to Lake Superior. The wreck sits in 10-12 feet of water and can be seen from the shore. 

It is about 3 football fields along the shoreline from a break in the shore/road.  Much too long for me to haul my gear to even get close to it.

So, guess you younger folk will have to give it a true report later.

Did find a few pieces of sea glass.  Hubby used his metal detector and found a pop top tab.

Had a great time just searching the beach up there.

Oh, did stay at good, clean,and inexpensive place called Superior Shores Resort, Ontonagon, MI.  It is located right on the shores of Lake Superior.  Thinking of doing another fall trip next year.

gail