Remember me
Lost Password Register

Monona Outlet Dive
12-13-2006, 12:58 PM,
Re: Monona Outlet Dive
This sounds really interesting.  I currently live in Florida and my be moving to Madison.  I am definitely going to be there from January - April of this year.  I actually just rented a small place on Monona Drive in Monona.  I don't know if this is close to that location or not. 
I won't be able to join you on the 1st as that is the day I will be getting into town, but I may want to some time this winter. 
My biggest issue is I don't have any cold weather gear, I guess the checkbook may have to take another hit. 
12-13-2006, 10:10 PM,
Sounds good. You can always rent gear and buy a little at a time.
12-14-2006, 08:07 AM,
I probably will rent gear.  At least until I know if I am going to be there permanently. 
12-14-2006, 09:56 PM,
Fontana Sports has a brand new rental gear assortment for fair prices. Tell em Nate sent ya
12-18-2006, 10:43 AM,
I'll check them out when I get to town and get settled in. 
12-22-2006, 11:46 AM,
Hi Nate, I've dove the outlet a few times in the last couple of years myself.  I have found viz to be the best when ice is on the main lake.  In the spring as soon as the ice melts, viz drops to lousy.  If the barge is in front of the tunnel, it's a huge bonus, large tiger muskies like to hang out under it!  The first time I was out I was surounded by 10 of these large predators and got some pics of one the next dive.  If you hang right in front of the stronger tunnel and wait, you may encounter a muskie drift out of the tunnel right into you!!!  I tried to go Sat. Dec 16th and the pumps weren't on.  I waded in the water and got a water temp of 34 degrees.  I may try this weekend if weather is OK and/or monitor pump situation.  I've checked the site a few times and haven't seen the pumps on.  I believe that power plant will be switching to natural gas, don't know what that will do for the outlet diving.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
12-22-2006, 04:51 PM,
I stopped at the outlet after work today, about 4:00pm.  It's tough to tell if the pumps are on or not.  There was no water movement on either side of the barge, but there looked like there was current off the end of the barge.  There was quite a bunch of weed crap on the north side of the barge.  Sunday looks to be mostly sunny and 42 degrees.  I think I will give it a try at 11:00am if anyone wants to try.

Say Skink, what's bringing you to Wisconsin?  We all want to go to Florida for diving pleasure.  We do have some nice diving around our state,  Devil's Lake is very scenic above and below the water, viz is 10-15ft.  Fish are diver friendly, the bass will follow you around the lake like puppys looking for hand outs.  Lake Wazee further Northwest has nice viz, about 30ft, formally a quarry.  Lake michigan has wreck diving and great viz 50-70ft.  Plenty of other diving around also, but none of it compares to Florida waters.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
12-22-2006, 05:56 PM,

I disagree.  I'd much rather look at an intact wreck over a pretty fish any day of the week.  I guess Burbot and Sculpin might be pretty and I do like them...
12-22-2006, 06:43 PM,

I disagree.  I'd much rather look at an intact wreck over a pretty fish any day of the week.  I guess Burbot and Sculpin might be pretty and I do like them...
[/quote]

I like to pet the sturgeon.  Pretty sturgeon.

Doug
12-22-2006, 06:47 PM,

The water outlet is for condensing steam coming out of the turbine generator sets.  I does not matter which fuel they are using, they will still need the heat sink.  So as long as the power plant is running and they do not install cooling towers, there will be an outlet to dive at.

Doug