Remember me
Lost Password Register

what did i see?
12-05-2006, 10:17 PM,
what did i see?
Ok gang someone knows what i saw..........

i was on Google Earth last night playing around..doing stupid things like looking in the water around milwaukee and chicago......i didnt see any moorings,,lol......but down around near chicago.. north and south, there are 4 man made structures in the water..i would guess a few miles off shore..they are large..look llike concrete structures...does anyone know what they are?  they are not the break wall..they are quite a bit further out than that.....
12-06-2006, 06:46 AM,
Re: what did i see?
Dean

Think water intake.....

Bill

Smile Smile
12-06-2006, 08:21 AM,
Bill,
Really?.....they are nothing like i would ever expect an intake to look like...i thought intakes were underwater.....have you been by them?..if so how large are they?
I hope you are doing well......
Deano
12-06-2006, 03:38 PM,
They are water intakes, I did a couple of my AOW dives (Night and Boat)on one of them in 97 or 98.  You can't even get near them anymore after 9/11.  If I remember correctly there in about 30-40' of water.  The intakes are grated and about 6'+/-.  The structures themselves are made of large stone block. If memory serves me correctly they are less then a 100' long/wide, kinda of circular, came out of the water at least 20'. 

Loftus
DW^2 Diver
12-06-2006, 04:48 PM,
john is that you?.......

yea, they look pretty big.....easily picked up by satellite photo...i think there are 4 of them....
12-07-2006, 03:56 PM,
Yeah its me, I've been getting away from using John since everyone else who I don't dive with in Wisconsin has been calling me Jay for 25 years.  Jay S. screwed me when I started working for UC since he was another John going by Jay, but I am taking it back.  I looked at the images and they are the intakes.  To bad you can't dive on them anymore, because they are more interesting then most of the wrecks in Chicago. 
DW^2 Diver
12-07-2006, 04:01 PM,
You mean more ineresting than the Materials Service Barge??? Come come now....

Colin.