Remember me
Lost Password Register

Best Milwaukee Area Diving?
01-18-2008, 05:10 PM,
Best Milwaukee Area Diving?
Hey everyone -

Fairly new diver here, logged 12 dives since being certified last August. As far as local diving goes, I have been to Pearl Lake, IL, dove the Niagara off Port Washington with moneysavr, and tried a dive in Upper Nemahbin lake. I am looking for some tips from you all of some good local lakes with relatively good visibility. I have heard good things about Nagawicka, Long Lake, Moose Lake, etc. What are some other good ones that I can try when the ice breaks?
01-18-2008, 10:50 PM,
Re: Best Milwaukee Area Diving?
Devil's lake has been improving and they have group dives during the warm months on Sunday afternoons and  Tuesday evenings.  Nice place to get experience with instructor led dives.  Check out 3 Little Devils.
01-20-2008, 12:31 PM,
...agreed....3 Little Devils is top of the list...great instructors who like what they do..... Smile
01-21-2008, 05:02 PM,
dido...3 little devils does a great job...but don't forget about lake wazee and keith, great diving for a multitude of divers, good weekend trip...also uw connection runs wed. night charters all summer for anyone interested in great lakes diving (instructor led). Either way you go, we have some great diving...
Thanks Much and Dive Safe,<br /><br />Mike Bernard<br />Mobile Divers LLC<br />(715) 482-8919<br />www.mobilediversllc.com<br /><br />
02-22-2008, 03:30 PM,

Where do they go on their charters? What type of gear do you need (drysuits, etc)?
02-22-2008, 05:23 PM,
Milwaukee, Port Washington and Sheboygan charters go to some pretty nice wrecks (Prins Willems V, Car Ferry Milwaukee, Hetty Taylor, and others are within recreational limits).
Many dive wet, many dive dry.  Bottom times aren't usually that long, so wet is common, though you may get chilled in a 7mm with hood, etc.

I think 3LD has around 6 open trips scheduled for the summer months with a local charter.
02-23-2008, 10:43 PM,

How about a 6.5mm Nova Scotia semi-dry suit, would that be sufficent?
03-04-2008, 02:46 PM,
The Wednesday night charted that are led by Underwater Connection staff are off Capt Bill Prince's boat (either the Nordic Diver or the Molly V).  Typically we go to the Willy, SS Milwaukee, St. Albans (tech), EMBA (tech), Gillen, Dredge, and the Lumberman.  Capt Bill and UW Connection does ask that every have a minimum of Adv Open Water cert.  Although if you are taking a class from the instructor towards your AOW that's cool too.  If you are diving the Albans or the EMBA adv nitrox and deco is required.

I will be personally on as many charters this year diving my Inspiration to get as many hours in as possible.  So I look forward to seeing as many people as possible diving.  We have no problem giving tours as well.  Most of our staff that leads these charters have dove many times on the different wrecks.  We all have our favorites.  Stop in the store in Menomonee Falls or give us a call 262-251-8283.

As far as gear.  General open water gear and a good cold water reg.  Yes you will want hoods/gloves/boots and at least a 7mm wet suit (preferable farmer jon/jane style), semi dry, or a dry suit.  A tip for the "wet" divers. Bring a gallon (milk jug) of warm water and dump it down your suit first, this will help you keep warm longer.

Bill runs a fantastic charter (locally and thoughout his journey's elsewhere) and brings lots of diving experience as well.  I have been diving with him for several years now.  He's very accomodating and asks a fair price.  Wink

Happy safe diving!
Jeremy
03-04-2008, 09:35 PM,

thanks,

I haven't done a lot of diving "up North" but that's about all I'll have time to do this year so I'm gearing up for some cold water. I'm working on my nitrox through the Hales Corners store and hopefully I can get to the Milwaukee and some of the other wrecks this summer.
03-05-2008, 09:36 AM,
That's awsome. Nitrox will definately help you have longer bottom times, just remember the depths you are diving to and have the appropriate blend for that depth.  Another thought is to make sure you have large enough tanks to allow you that bottom time.  Nothing worse than getting to the bottom and only getting a couple minutes before having to head up.  Not sure what size tanks you are using but if you have the option (or you maybe already have) a steel 100cf or 120cf is great for the "big pond".  It also helps with the weight as you do not have to carry as much on your weigh belt or integrated pockets on your bc.

Look forward to diving with you this summer.  I'd recommend doing a shallower dive (Willy, Gillen, etc.) first before you take on the Milwaukee.  The Milwaukee is an awsome wreck to dive, It would definately be within your reach this summer.  Smile

Jeremy