Remember me
Lost Password Register

Wildlife Encounters
01-16-2007, 02:42 PM,
Wildlife Encounters
We went diving at a mine last week and had some interesting interactions with the local "wildlife".  The mine is in the middle of a farmer's field and we sometimes see donkeys and horses walking around in the field.  This time they came over and wanted to play. 

It was rather frightening at first, but the donkeys responded well to being scratched on the head.  They also seemed very interested in eating our clothing.  I was nervous about what would happen when we had to walk across the field in our doubles (since we couldn't outrun them then), but they didn't bother us. 

As we were gearing up in the small entrance pond, the horses and donkeys came down next to the water and watched us.  I was very nervous about having a large horse standing over my head and another three animals standing behind us, but they didn't bother us and eventually wandered away. 

Unfortunately we only got photos of the donkeys while walking around prior to our dive - we couldn't get any photos of us next to them in doubles.  I would've really liked to have an image like that.  It's a good thing we didn't try to do that though.  Just before we started our dive, the owner came by and asked us if the animals had been bothering us - he wanted to make sure that we weren't leaving any equipment topside, as the donkeys would eat it.  I wonder what Christa's camera insurance company would've said if her camera had been eaten by donkeys.

Has anyone else had interesting wildlife encounters while diving?  Aside from the muskrat I mentioned earlier, so far I've dealt with bees (ouch), ticks (yuck), sheep (baa!), and bulls (run!). I've always hoped to see alligators when diving in FL, but none yet.

[photo credits go to Christa Loustalot - my apologies for not crediting you initially]
Ethan

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   tamidonkey.jpg_thumb (Size: 27.87 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   ethandonkey.jpg_thumb (Size: 33.26 KB / Downloads: 0)
01-16-2007, 04:47 PM,
Re: Wildlife Encounters
That is funny.
I had a dog swim overhead at Lannon quarry.  Another time, while diving at Lannon I found a dog's toy on the bottom.    I brought it out of the water with me and was met by a very excited, yet very confused black lab who really wanted his toy back.
01-16-2007, 08:40 PM,
My wife was retrieved by a black lab at the end of a dive once.  Grabbed her by the fin and pulled her to shore.
01-17-2007, 12:10 PM,
I was diving in cozumel a few years ago and met up with a little crocodile - he was lazing on the bottom and let me get really close, then he needed some air and scared the begeezus out of some snorkelers above!  It was pretty funny...

Eth, ask Kieth about his alligator encounter in florida this summer....

Christa
01-17-2007, 12:14 PM,
Is that the one where he thought it was a tire at first?
01-18-2007, 02:25 PM,
Yeah, I've been a little while since I've posted since I've been a little busy remodeling my house.

One of my animal memory I have was from a few years ago... Isle Royale, several moose swimming from shore to shore directly over the America.

-schultz