Lost Password Register

Lake Wazee Trash or Treasure
09-29-2003, 03:15 PM,
Re:Lake Wazee Trash or Treasure
Yeah...I think tewest has some explaining to do. :Smile
09-29-2003, 03:52 PM,
Jason,
Perhaps a bit off track - but not much....
I see a hobby as a source of challenge, fun, humor, debate, diversity, learning, growth and comraderie.
I don't think we should take aim at the individual when we respond to their ideas, thoughts or activities. But those ideas, thoughts and activities are fair game for consideration, discussion and even challenge and humor.
I never intend personal malice in any of my comments, and I don't take others' response to my participation in these forums personally.
Seems that twest had some fun with all of us (either intentionally or unintentionally). In doing that, he certainly contributed to my education about what others think of the dive environment and how we influence it through activities we don't think enough about.
john j - I admire you for continuing to communicate your concerns in the face of a lot of opposing response - much of it, I think, tongue-in-cheek just for the opportunity to have a little fun.
12-01-2003, 01:33 PM,
As the director of the Jackson County Parks, I would like to offer some comments in regards to adding "artificial" items to the lake, and the consequenses of doing so.
Recently, some idiot decided to put two gasoline engines in the lake for people to enjoy. BOth engines were removed and found, yes you won't believe it, to have GAS AND OIL in them!!! This does nothing to add any benefit to the lake or the park as a whole.
Wisconsin State Statute 287.81(2)(b) carries a penalty of $181.00 plus cleanup costs for depositing debris in State waters.
Please have some common sense when using our natural resources. Don't put things in the lake that aren't part of the original landscape or that may harm water quality. What you might feel is "cute", may be offending to other divers. In addition...IT'S AGAINST THE LAW!

I have read many negative comments directed at the County Board and others who manage the lake. I guess if you don't like the way the park is being managed, find somewhere else to dive. And lastly, stop dumping crap in the lake. If you want pink flamingos and gazing globes, buy an aquarium.

Jon Schweitzer
Jackson County Parks
12-01-2003, 02:37 PM,
Jon,

Thanks for the comments.

I'm curious to know if you or your colleagues would deem any items as acceptable to put into the lake, or leave in the lake. Something that isn't harmful - say a statue or something like that. Would there be immediate objections to that??
12-01-2003, 05:09 PM,
Jason,
I'm going out on a limb and saying that statues are covered under the Aquarium clause. Wink Quarrys are definately a tough call. It is nice to have something to look at, but the line needs to be drawn somewhere.
01-15-2004, 05:56 PM,
I realize this is an old article, and am ashamed at myself for not looking at it mcuh earlier. It was nice to hear both sides of this debate as well as input from the Government. I personally loved the "Toys" that were and are still in the lake. I call them "Toys" as to me, the dont qualify as trash. I look at those items as being fun things to look at while blowing bubbles. Now, the moron that decided it would be a good idea todump a few engines..well, book'em. Thats just dumb. I personally dont see a problem with putting some non hazardous items in specific locations to look at or play with. New divers seem to like them, and as long as they are not scattered all over the quarry, thus creating a landfill situation, then I dont see the problem. Then, i fyou were a diver that just didnt like to see it...Damn, its a big quarry, and id bet that it would be really easy to avoid such relatively small sites. Clearly, there needs to be regulation on this topic. None of us want to see our natural, or semi-natural environment destroyed. I just think that the real issues have become clouded. The real issues....
The disposal of real trash..pop cans..paper..and lets not forget the fishing line. The last i checked, you dont get a 180.00 fine for breaking a line while trying to reel in a bass, yet this is far more destructive than some gargoyles and a few pink flamigos. Re the underwater forrests...When will people learn....we cannot go around destroying what will never return once it is lost. If you cannot control your boyancy..dont go through them. you can go around, over, and under. I truly hope i have not offended anyone, as it was not my intention. I think we are really all on the same side in the BIG PICTURE.
Dive Safe
Dean