Remember me
Lost Password Register

Vandalism at Kiwanis Pond
03-20-2007, 11:18 AM,
Vandalism at Kiwanis Pond
It appears some jerks vandalized and have torn apart the Diving/Fishing pier and other signage at Kiwanis Pond in Janesville and thrown it into the water.  The local newspaper is calling on area divers to come to the rescue and clean it up. If any of you have ever dove this you can appreciate the unique and intriguing dive site this is (and what a great diving pier it was). I want to call on all of you as fellow dive brothers and sisters to unite with me and clean this lake up come warm weather and open water. I have contacted the editor of the Janesville Gazette to come out and cover this story as we clean it up. I am Thinking about this weekend or the next as it should be open by then.
If interested please contact me and we can put a plan together for the project.
Thank you,Nate
03-20-2007, 12:35 PM,
Re: Vandalism at Kiwanis Pond
I was just thinking yesterday that I haven't done a "clean up" dive in a few years. Let us know what you come up with.
03-20-2007, 02:10 PM,
Will do, thanks for the support Matt!! Smile
03-20-2007, 05:51 PM,
I hope to get my part for my BC this week, Sat. I'll be in Milwaukee for the Ghostship Festival.  I hope to do some diving on Sunday, I think the lakes will be open by then.  Sounds like this could be a fun time. I might be able to get a couple others interested.  Please post what the plans are and directions, I've never been there before.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
03-23-2007, 02:18 PM,
The date has been set to [glow=red,2,300]Sunday April 8th  [/glow]  at noon.
We need all the help we can get so bring friends. Divers and non-divers welcome to help.
Very easy dive set up and entry right off of pier.
35 foot max depth. Lots of goodies to be found.  ;D
Newspaper will be there to cover the event.

Directions to Pond: Coming south from Madison, Take Interstate 39/90 south to Janeville
Take exit 175A to merge onto E Racine St.
Take an immediate Left at first stoplight.
Take first right, onto sharon Rd.
Take immediate right and you will follow the wooden pillars down to the pond.
Park in the parking lot.
03-23-2007, 11:55 PM,
sounds like a feel good dive to me... however, i haven't done a dive in this cold of water--only 72 degrees cold so far with my shorty wetsuit... maybe i can get a better wetsuit before the occasion and join you.  what's the water temp around april 8th... 40 degrees??  looks like i need  to do some investing.

03-24-2007, 01:56 PM,
Too bad it wasn't set up for Saturday instead.  Sunday is Easter and there are sure to be a lot of family commitments.
03-24-2007, 11:09 PM,
yah, i found that out today... that's going to be a busy day for lots of people.  darn holidays!  Smile 

maybe we can do an underwater easter egg hunt. now that would be a fun idea for next year!
03-25-2007, 01:08 PM,
I was hoping to try to make this, but will be driving back from out of town.  Maybe next time. 
03-25-2007, 04:13 PM,
Quote:sounds like a feel good dive to me... however, i haven't done a dive in this cold of water--only 72 degrees cold so far with my shorty wetsuit... maybe i can get a better wetsuit before the occasion and join you.  what's the water temp around april 8th... 40 degrees??  looks like i need  to do some investing.
You might want to seriously consider a dry suit.  Any real diving gets chilly below 30'.  With a dry suit you can dive year round, be sure to do some exploring around the forum on dive sites and what gear divers are using.  I don't know what your experience level is, but definately think ahead as to what types of diving do you want to do and buy according to your plans and budget.  Don't be afraid to ask questions, we all like to help and learn.
Life's Short, Dive Hard