Remember me
Lost Password Register

Pony bottle size
11-28-2006, 09:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-28-2006, 09:44 PM by codecruncher.)
Re: Pony bottle size
As a pony I wonder if a 19cf might be small enough that you find you take it with you more regularly vs. not wanting to deal with it because of the size/weight/PITA factor.

Just a thought I've heard from other folks considering this as well.

Personally I have a 13cf I sling which is just barely enough for a non-deco ascent - I'd be more comfortable with a 19cf, but I got the 13cf dirt cheap at the time. I barely even notice it once I'm in the water.

I'd rather have a set of doubles or a {worthington X8-130 + a 19cf slung} might be nicer though.

Cheers.
11-28-2006, 09:50 PM,
divingdeputy ...I'm curious on the 30...what is the average number of breaths your getting off them..?...   
11-29-2006, 07:04 AM,
Carrying Your Pony

I know a few have mentioned slinging your pony bottle - in case you were wondering what was meant by that, check out this link.  I know what the website is...ignore that if you have any bias Smile  I'm not a DIR diver either, but it's just a really good guide.  The advantage with this setup is, it's CHEAP.  15 min utes and $15 at a hardware store and you are set.  I can set one of these guys up in just a couple of minutes.

Top clip goes to your chest d-ring, bottom one goes onto your waist.  The tank sits tucked away really nice and accessible.

It's an option...instead of buying a pony bracketing system or something like that you can just go with this if you'd like.

Now back to the regular bottle size discussion.
11-29-2006, 07:11 AM,
Folks, the best thing you can do to figure out what you need for a redundant gas source is calculate your SAC (surface air consumption) rate.  Once you figure out your SAC rate you can accurately calculate what your needs will be for a redundant gas source at depth by multiplying your SAC by the ATM of pressure and time at that depth.  Don't forget to multiply that result by 2 to account for an additional OOA diver (worst case scenario).

No offense to anyone but even a 19 cu ft bottle won't be of much use to 1 diver much less 2 divers OOA at depths of 100 or more.  SAC rates will be much higher in an emergency than at rest.

11-29-2006, 07:39 AM,

Many, many breaths at 20ft, not even close to that many at 130ft.  Todd is correct in this one.  There is much more to calculating gas consumption than "how many breaths".
11-29-2006, 08:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-29-2006, 08:34 AM by codecruncher.)
This might be of use to get you in the ballpark and then follow on w/ your own SAC rate and tank specs you are considering.

(safe for work browsing)

Certainly illustrates the 30cf has a nice safety margin.

I've also found this article explained air consumption rates pretty well:

11-29-2006, 10:58 AM,
I'm new to stage bottles but I got a steel 50. It's long but skinny. I've swam it 6 or 8 times and I really don't mind it and with the extra size I can use it as a travel gas and switch to my main tank to increase my bottom time some and still have reserve.

I can't afford to have every size and it's not too big. I'm also 6 foot so I have the torso to carry the length.

About having gas for your OOA buddy? Wouldn't they also have a stage? That's 4 first stage failures or 6 second stage. That's a bad day. This assumes the original post of no-deco <130ft.

I'm open to constructive criticism.

11-29-2006, 11:46 AM,

Don't use steel stages.    Too negative.  Try an aluminum 40 sometime, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
11-29-2006, 01:29 PM,
I am...aware of the dynamics involved in gas dynamics...it was a simple question of what was realized when the oh S*** factor hit 9.......
11-29-2006, 01:42 PM,
used to sling steel....man how tiring....it used to pull like hell on my harness..it now spends its time on a friends SCR.......i am much happier with aluminum................................

in my opinion....a 30 is perfect for a pony bottle  and 40 is perfect to sling...a 19..is too small for much of anything..... and anything smaller is an argon bottle......
but this is just my opinion.....