Remember me
Lost Password Register

Herbert Nitsch's record 100m no fins (no air either!)
09-05-2003, 06:27 PM,
Herbert Nitsch's record 100m no fins (no air either!)
Just read awhile ago on the db website that Herbert N. set several records the past few days, but the unbelievable one was an unassisted freedive (no fins, no lift bags, nothin') to 100 meters (328 feet) It took him 4 min and 7 sec. to complete the dive. He da man!!
Fred
09-05-2003, 06:49 PM,
Re:Herbert Nitsch's record 100m no fins (no air either!)
That is crazy!! No weights or sled either?? I've been playing around with freediving a bit lately and just getting used to hanging around the 20 ft level. I'm having a hard time even imagining getting down to 50 feet or more right now.
09-05-2003, 07:27 PM,
He did a "free immersion" dive. That means that you pull yourself down a rope and back. No fins, sleds, or lift bags to do any of the work.

He also did a "constant ballast" dive to 95 meters(312') using just a monofin. He is hoping to break the 100 meter mark in constant ballast in the next few days.

On another note, MAndy-Rae Crushank jus set the ladies unassisted constant ballast record in, of all places, Canada. She did this in a thick wetsuit with a weight belt on because of the cold water.

Unassisted constant ballast means you get to use nothing but a mask or goggles. She set the ladies record at 41 meters (135'). Most people use the breast stroke to make it down and back. She also had the ladies constant ballast record, no-limits (sled) record, static record( longest breath-hold) at one time or another. She is a PADI course Director and and member of the PADI headquarter's Staff. She is try to get a better freediver course curriculum set up through padi at this time, along with a little help from Grant Graves who helped write their deep tec and trimix programs. I was promised a copy when it's ready and it acutally has me excited about teaching something again.

Pipin is getting ready to set a new no-limits (sled) record in October. It will be filmed by James Cameron for a movie that he is planning on doing about Pipin's late wife, Audrey. Supposedly, Selma Hayek and J-Lo are both interested in playing Audrey and Vin Diesel is interested in playing the part of Pipin. He's not my favorite spokesman for the sport, but it will get us some more exposure.

Jon
09-06-2003, 06:12 AM,
Todd,
Glad to hear your giving freediving a try.. you'd be surprised how easily you could get to -50' or more if you could spend just a short time with Jon or I. It really helps to have someone in view when you dive. Getting comfortabe at -20' is a good start. Comfort under the water without air, along with ease of equalizing are key ingredients for going deeper. Work on the Frenzel technique for equalizing.
Dive Safe.
Fred
09-06-2003, 03:58 PM,
I just like being in the water. It is such a different feeling having no scuba gear on and swimming around. I don't have any of the special gear that would make freediving easier but it has been fun to descend a bit and just swim around. I was not familiar with the Frenzel technique so I looked it up. Pretty different method than the valsalva but I was able to perform it correctly in front of the computer here (at least it felt correct). I'll have to get out and try that one in the water. Thanks for the tip Fred. I might have to see about picking a low volume mask, suit and fins before next summer and play around a bit more.

Todd