Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diving Doubles, and how much does size matter?
01-11-2007, 08:02 PM,
Diving Doubles, and how much does size matter?
Hey guys, I've been out of the scuba pages for a while now, and I have been noticing some tech. stuff on the mnscuba page.  I already have plans for deco. procedures, adv. nitrox, and possibly rec. trimix if I have the time.

The main purpose of this page is the tank size of doubles. I have used them in the past, but have never purchased a set. I do a lot of wreck diving, usually staying between 100'-130', but I plan on going to Isle Royale and doing deco. dives in Wazee and Ore-Bee-Gone in july.  What size tanks should I use that can accomodate 200' trimix deco dives, and yet have them be of an appropriate size to penetrate wrecks?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Josh
Daring to explore is great, daring not too...is unacceptable
01-11-2007, 09:26 PM,
Re: Diving Doubles, and how much does size matter?
I have steel 80s, 95s, and 130s.  All have been on some great dives.  I prefer the 80s.  They aren't ideal if you are doing 2 dives in the 200ft range.  There isn't enough gas for me.  However, if you can use an aluminum 80 as a bottom stage on one of the dives that helps some.  If I had my choice, all of my deco dives would be with my 80s, and one or two 40s for deco gas.
01-11-2007, 11:20 PM,
...I like it.

Small cylinders, out of the way, and if I need more gas, then I could use a 40 to go down w/ (limiteless gear configurations).  Thanks for the help.  I'm thinkin 85's or 95's however.  I'm a tall guy and have lots of space in my drysuit to equalize, so a little bit larger cylinder might help.

Keep comin' w/ the info.
Daring to explore is great, daring not too...is unacceptable
01-12-2007, 06:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-12-2007, 12:24 PM by LKunze.)
Josh, I think 85's would work well for what you want to do.  They are very versatile tanks. If you are going to do a lot of dives in the 100 -130 foot range you can do deco dives and sling a 40. You can also just do recreational NDL dive profiles without the slung 40 and not have to switch out tanks after the first dive. For deeper trimix dives you might want to have bigger tanks if you have to get two dives off of one set unless you do like Chris said and bring an AL80 for a stage.  Most charters will only allow you to bring one set of doubles on board.  Since you are taller I'm not sure 95's would trim out as well for you because they are shorter tanks.