Remember me
Lost Password Register

Got myself bent - not much fun.
11-12-2006, 01:10 PM,
Re: Got myself bent - not much fun.
Brian,

Said to hear about your disk and diving problems.  Being bent is terrible and I wish you a full recovery.

Listnening to your tale just rmphasizes the need to dive conservatively.  Especially for us old guys.

Get well

Doug
11-15-2006, 03:00 PM,
Thanks for all the well wishes.

I wish I could say I was feeling a lot better, but I'm not. Still lots of pain in my right leg from the hip to my ankle. Went back for  a round of MRI's on Thursday and another round on Friday. Then back to the neurosurgeon today. The MRI has shown an area of nerves that is damaged. It is about 3 vertebreas up from the herniated disc. The nitrogen bubbles did some sort of damage to the nerves (not sure of the name of the condition).  It is some sort of damage that can not be fixed by any surgery. They are not sure if the damage is temporary or permanent, only time will tell. I am supposed to take nerve blocker medicine and pain killers for 30 more days and then go back to see the doctor.  Hopefully things clear up by then !!!

Lesson learned: If you are not feeling  absolutely 100%, consider taking it really easy on the dive and dive extra conservative. No dive is worth getting bent and you never know when it is your turn to a get a hit. You can only know what makes you more susceptable to getting it.

Brian
11-15-2006, 07:49 PM,
..good luck on your recovery...
11-17-2006, 06:38 AM,
With sad regrets, it is no longer worth it for me to continue diving. I have a family to watch out for, and I don't want to keep diving and get myself screwed up worse.

So my loss is your gain, all my gear is for sale !! See "Gear for sale" forum.
11-17-2006, 11:17 AM,
Thats terrible!!!  i am so sorry to hear about this :-[
i truly hope you get better and that you find a way to spend your time that is still fullfilling......good luck to you....
I'm so sorry'
11-17-2006, 12:49 PM,
Sorry to hear that Brian, thats a real tug on the short hairs.  Hope your recovery goes well.