Remember me
Lost Password Register

Stripping paint from tanks
10-29-2006, 03:15 PM,
Stripping paint from tanks
So I just picked up a can of "Aircraft Stripper" from Autozone.  I was reading the back of the can and it says "Do not use on Aircraft"      I'm trying it on a Luxfer aluminum 6.  I took a "before" picture, and I'll take an "after" as well.     
10-29-2006, 04:09 PM,
Re: Stripping paint from tanks
I'm a bit over an hour into this and decided maybe drinking a beer will help...
I'm glad i picked a 6 to try this on and not an 80 or 40 Tongue
10-29-2006, 05:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-29-2006, 05:34 PM by Chris H.)
Here are the pictures.  The moral of the story is that if you want a natural color tank, spend the extra $10 when order it and be done.  The stripper worked OK.  I was leaving it on too long and the Methylene Chloride was evaporating.  The coating definitely came off better when the stripper was on thick and still wet.    Use gloves if you are going to attempt this.  Methylene Chloride isn't very nice stuff.  It is a carcinogen in California.  Coincidently, the bright yellow paint allows the tank to defy gravity. ;D

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Before.jpg_thumb (Size: 34.14 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   IMG_0128.JPG_thumb (Size: 32.11 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-29-2006, 07:55 PM,
So it's safe to breath if your NOT in California  ???
10-29-2006, 09:18 PM,

I doubt that, but I think that part of the label is funny.

.jpg_thumb   IMG_0133.JPG_thumb (Size: 10.99 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-30-2006, 05:38 AM,
I think it's actually a political thing. It's o.k. to breathe if you're a conservative Republican. If you live in The Republic of California or Madison you'd better NOT breathe it. ;D  Next time I'll bead blast it for you.
10-30-2006, 06:32 AM,

Based on the state of things in this country, they are obviously sniffing something.

10-30-2006, 06:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-30-2006, 07:01 AM by matt t..)

Based on the state of things in this country, they are obviously sniffing something.
[/quote]
Fortunately in the last presidential election it was the sweet smell of VICTORY. Hopefully this next election will be the same. "Concealed Carry" here I come.....Anyway the tank turned out nice. Do you have an extra valve for it?
10-30-2006, 07:13 AM,

I have some of the older Sherwood DIN valves that I'm going to put on one of my deco bottles and take a valve from one of them for the argon.
10-30-2006, 10:24 AM,
I doubt that, but I think that part of the label is funny.
[/quote]

All the dive shops in California have large signs on/near the doors saying "This establishment sells products containing chemicals known by the State of California to cause cancer and reproductive harm."  I believe they're referring to the lead used in the weights, and there's also usually a sign over the weights as well. 

Many electronic stores have these signs as well (lead solder, maybe mercury in displays, etc...).  It's a bit ridiculous, but I'd much rather have it disclosed (in the store, on product labels, etc...) and well-known than have it be a secret.

Ethan