Remember me
Lost Password Register

Straits of Mackinac
08-19-2003, 09:27 PM,
Straits of Mackinac
Did some great diving in the Straits of Mackinac this last weekend. (August 16-17, 2003)

The weather was good on Saturday but not so pleasent on Sunday with all of the waves. Boat was crowded on Saturday but less divers on Sunday made it more managable.

The first wreck was the Young which is a recently found wreck and is a canal schooner. This is a neat wreck with the highlight being the ships wheel. I hope that no one steals the wheel.

THis wreck is a bit deep and the current was pushing a lot of green stuff past us.

Check ot the picture of the wheel.

Doug

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Young_Wreck_Ships_Wheel_-_1_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 34.99 KB / Downloads: 0)
08-19-2003, 09:33 PM,
Re:Straits of Mackinac
The Cedarville was the next wreck that we visited. This wreck is big and has a lot of penetrations. I think that the enjoyment of this wreck depended on which opening you went into. For sure the size of the holds is unbeleivable. Like entering a black hole.

Too big for nice pictures of the ship, but got a nice sculpin picture.

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Cedarville_Wreck_Sculpin_-_9_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 44.65 KB / Downloads: 0)
08-19-2003, 09:50 PM,
The next day was the Eber Ward. THe surface current was strong and made this a real challenge, But the conditions at the wreck was great.

This ship is the champion of swim throughs. Plenty of equipment and woodwork. THe engine is very nice and the unloading equipment is very interesting. This is the type of wreck that makes you want to do more research on a ship.

Plenty of artifacts. Got plenty of pictures.

Would like to spend more time checking this wreck out.

Check the manifold in this picture.

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Eber_Ward_Wreck_Diver_-_6_-_Enhanced_-_E-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 34.11 KB / Downloads: 0)
08-19-2003, 09:53 PM,
Finally the Minneapolis under teh shadow of the bridge. This wreck has a great place to look at the propellar and the engine. This is a neat little wreck that is just fun.

Check out the propeller on this one.

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Minneapolis_Wreck_Propeller_-_1_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 33.71 KB / Downloads: 0)
08-19-2003, 09:55 PM,
A good weekend of wrecks. Need to take a break at lake Wazee.

Doug
08-20-2003, 07:18 AM,
Great pictures again Doug. Thanks for posting the Sculpin Pic. It is really surprising how much a huge body of water moves. The surface current on the Ebar Ward was crazy. Great wrecks and a beautiful weekend for diving.
08-20-2003, 08:35 AM,
Good photos Doug...looks like you had fun - at least a little bit. I heard that conditions were somewhat challenging with the charter...at least the wrecks made up for it!
08-20-2003, 10:48 PM,
There were some moments on the charter the first day where I thought we might have to swim for it.

Plenty of current on the surface the second day.

But the wrecks were a lot of fun and provided some good history as well as pictures. You do not see a ships wheel very often. Big Grin

Doug
08-20-2003, 10:58 PM,
Very true about the wheel Doug Smile The pictures look good as usual! Kind of makes me wish that I would have gone on the trip.
08-20-2003, 11:41 PM,
After a good wreck dive and in need of decompression, having your buddies waiting on the line is a welcome sight. Here is a picture of going back to the world. :'(

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Eber_Ward_Wreck_Diver_-_10_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 24.36 KB / Downloads: 0)